Fluffy buns stuffed with awesome combination of cheese and bacon. Perfect for breakfast or brunch. Easy to grab and go. They also freeze nicely.
Ahh. Yes. 3 of life’s little beauties, cheddar cheese, bacon and buns. Need I elaborate? Well, I have to. These are not your buns, hunny. These are one of a kind delicious buns. And they are definitely crowd pleasers. Take these to a potluck and your guaranteed an invite again next year.
Bring these to your friend that just had a baby. She’ll be pregnant again next year just for these. Bring these home to mom for Mother’s Day. She’ll never let you leave until you’ve handed over the recipe. Are you getting the picture yet?
These beautiful little buns totally rock the breakfast bar. Thanks King Arthur for another delicious addition to our day. I’ll be forever in your debt.
I’d love nothing more than to make millions of these and pass them out on the street corners. People would go crazy. OK. Maybe I wouldn’t want to be the cause of craziness but I would love the oohs and aaah from grateful hungry commuters. You know those people who just don’t have the time for a sit down breakfast? I’d love to bless them with something warm, flavorful and the best flavor known to the breakfast kingdom….bacon.
I’ve really looking forward to sharing this recipe for awhile now. I thought you’d really enjoy. Please come back and let everyone including me if you try it. We’d love to hear your thoughts.
Dreaming of cheddar and bacon,
- ½ cup milk
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- ¼ cup instant potato flakes
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and chopped
- To make the buns: Mix all the ingredients together. Knead for several minutes to make a smooth, soft dough. In a greased bowl cover the dough and let rise until doubled, about 60 to 90 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour to make a paste. Let the butter-flour mixture cook for 1 minute, then gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to ensure no clumps form. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Roll the dough on a lightly greased surface into a 12" x 18" rectangle. Evenly spread with cheese sauce and bacon.
- Starting with a short end, roll the dough into a log. Cut it into 12 pieces.
- Place buns into the paper-lined or greased cups of a muffin pan. It's best to use two pans, filling every other cup.
- Cover and let the buns rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until they're nicely puffed. Closer to the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the buns for 15 minutes, remove them from the oven, and top with grated or shredded cheese. Return to the oven, and bake until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven. When cooled enough to handle, turn them onto a rack to cool.
Recipe from: King Arthur Flour
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.