Blueberry Whoopie Pies Whipped Blueberry Filling – Fresh homemade baked blueberry whoopie pies. These delicious cakes are filled with fresh blueberries and stuffed with a whipped blueberry filling. Summer’s best.
Old fashioned blueberry whoopie pies with blueberry whipped filling. These delicious cakes are just like the treats we find by the Amish. But now you can make them at home.
7/28/14 Recipe updated. Changes included granulated sugar and brown sugar vs just brown sugar. No egg whites in the filling. And other small changes.
I’ve been a whoopie pie fan since way back. We grew up visiting Lancaster county, PA several times a year. Whoopies pies and shoo fly pie were some of our favorite treats to taste and bring home. Ahh….yes. What fond memories.
But during those years it was always ALWAYS chocolate. I mean, was there really an other option. In my 10 year mind? No. Fast forward quite a few years and hubby came home from a delivery raving about these delicious whoopie pies. Blueberry of all things was his favorite.
So whenever we drove through the area we would stop and treat our little family to these delicious little treats. Well guess what? We don’t drive through there often enough. So you know what happened next.
I delivered. That’s right. I delivered these right into the happy heart of my man. He thought they delivered the same flavors he always loved. That’s exactly what I was hoping for.
The reason these really rock? No vegetable shortening. It’s something I’ve been trying to steer clear of the past few years. And whoppie pies almost always have vegetable shortening. But it’s my goal to always create delicious treats but without that hated ingredient.
Who needs vegetable shortening anyway when there’s butter? Nuff said!
These deliver the freshness of blueberries and no hidden horrors. A treat for all.
Thanks for being here friends!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream (half and half should work too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine oil, sugar and brown sugar. Mix until light and fluffy. Mix in egg. Beat well. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until thoroughly combined. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and buttermilk. Add in blueberries. Mix well on medium-high speed just to break down blueberries a bit.
- Drop by your choice of size on baking sheets. Minis will be done in as little as 8 minutes. Larger ones may take up to 15-16 minutes. I like to do some of both.
- Allow to rest on cookie sheet for 1 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Whip butter in electric mixer with wire whip until nice and fluffy. Add heavy cream (half and half or milk), confectioners sugar and flour. Beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in vanilla extract. Gently fold in blueberries .Also, feel free to whip at a faster speed if you would like the blueberries broken down.
- Fill your cakes with filling and enjoy!
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.