Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting – Perfect chocolate cupcakes with fluffy dye free frosting. Delicious sweetheart cupcakes topped with fresh icing made with strawberry jam.
Sweethearts day is just around the corner. So hard to believe. I thought January would hang around and go by dreadfully slow. But in the end as always I look back and think, ‘Wow. That actually went really fast.’ And indeed I’m glad it did. It’s by far the worst month for me.
When you combine dieting, no spending at all, purging/organizing and multiple sicknesses into one month it tends to leave A LOT of room for excitement. But it the end it really wasn’t all that bad. I loved having time to work on projects. I loved having to eat mostly from the pantry. I loved no having to go places everyday.
And to be completely honest me and my yoga pants are like best buds right now. When I actually do have to put on clothes and trudge out into 20 and 30 degree weather I find myself very grumpy. So for your best bet, don’t invite me over until March when it warms up a bit. Just throwing out that disclaimer in case you were thinking of inviting me over for coffee or cupcakes or such.
After reading that you’re thinking. ‘Yeah, right! I’m not inviting over the Grumpster.’ I promise if there’s coffee involved and I can bring my slippers that I won’t be grumpy. OK?
So anywho…back to valentine’s. I totally got off course. These cupcakes are a dream come true. I was able to make them without red dye. Woot! I try to avoid dyes in our foods as much as I can. Yes, the kids enjoy a rare treat of m & ms but for the most part I try to stay away.
But pink is just a welcomed color for February and we all know it. So here we have perfectly delicious cupcakes made with fluffy frosting with all natural color. Strawberry jam is the key here. And I just so happen to make homemade strawberry jam every year. It’s always in stock here, so this were a cinch to whip up.
Forgot to mention the kids adored the little chocolate heart. And NO ONE in the house wanted the cupcakes without the chocolate heart. It’s just mandatory. 😉
Other Amazing Cupcake Recipes from Friends:
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa (Here's what I use)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered confectioner's sugar
- ⅓ cup real strawberry jam or jelly
- 2-3 Tablespoons half and half or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour cupcake pans or line with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes. Pour in boiling water and stir. Mixture will be thin. Fill each cup about ⅔ half. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter and jam/jelly on medium speed until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Slowly stir in confectioner's sugar. Mix in milk to thin out a bit for the perfect consistency.
Cupcake Recipe from: Hershey’s
You’ll also love these:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.