Creamy Coconut Butternut Squash Soup – Delicious creamy soup is made with real coconut milk and roasted butternut squash. Perfect fall soup for lunch or dinner.
I love coconut so when I found a recipe making butternut squash soup with coconut milk I knew I had to try it. The results: creamy and delicious. The flavor is phenomenal. It’s the perfect fall lunch.
The color is fabulous. So eye catching that I somehow find it irresistible and keep wanting to gaze at it all day. That’s absurd! I have many more things yet to do with my day. Focus, Melanie, focus.
If you’ve never tried butternut squash before. Um, yeah that was me until 2 years ago. I have to tell you. Give it a try. Even if you think it looks like baby food ( I know. It does.)
I think you’ll like it if:
You enjoy trying new foods.
Green vegetables bore you.
You like a light meal every now and then.
You’re not a coconut fan. Yes you read that right! You won’t taste a whole lot of the coconut coming through but it will just make it super rich and delicious!
Look at that gorgeous creaminess! So hard to resist.
Til we meet and eat again,
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (13.5-14 ounces) coconut milk
- 2½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- chopped chives, to garnish
- toasted coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Sprinkle with olive oil. Lay face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven. Let cool.
- Scoop out pulp. Discard skin.
- Meanwhile, heat teaspoon of olive oil in a small skillet. Saute onion until translucent. Add minced garlic. Cook one minute longer.
- Combine squash, coconut milk, chicken broth, onion mixture, salt and ginger in a blender. May need to be done in 2 or more batches. Blend until smooth. I use my Vitamix and it makes it so creamy. Or use immersion blender.
- Top with toasted coconut and chives if desired.
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.