Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberries and Poppy Seed Dressing – Savory romaine greens topped with fresh grilled chicken paired with strawberry, avocado, and sweet onion poppy seed dressing.
Today I’m sharing with a delicious fresh salad made with grilled chicken, strawberries and a homemade poppy seed dressing. I’m loving berries on my salad and this salad packs a protein punch with grilled chicken and avocado. I’ve also included a homemade poppy seed dressing for you. It’s got a hint of onion and made sweet with all natural honey. No refined sugar. It’s creamy and delicious.
By all means, though if you don’t have time, feel free to substitute with a store-bought version that’s a-ok.
This salad is summer’s dream come true. Perfect for a girl’s gathering or serving for a bridal or baby shower.
Years ago my friend introduced me to the wonderful combo of poppy seed dressing with salad and strawberries. I quickly fell head over heels for the sweetness. But I’ve noticed that it’s hard to find a poppy seed dressing that doesn’t have crappy ingredients. So, this one is perfect. It’s made with natural ingredients like onion, honey, vinegar, olive oil, mayo, and spices. I think you’ll love this version over the ones on the dressing aisle.
Please note, this has a hint of onion flavor. It’s not overwhelming in my opinion but I do enjoy onions. Feel free to skip it altogether and you’ll still enjoy the dressing.
Have a great week! Hope it’s filled with good food and your favorite people around the table.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
AND be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post may contain affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
© GATHER FOR BREAD. All images & content are copyright protected. Please follow my Sharing Policy if you would like to use or share any part of this post.
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¾ cup mayonnaise with Olive Oil
- ¼ cup extra light tasting olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 ounces Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- In a medium saucepan, toast poppy seeds over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Cook and stir until poppy seeds are fragrant. Add diced onion, vinegar and honey. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Transfer to a blender. (I used my Vitamix). Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Place chicken in a large zip-top bag.Add ⅓ cup of dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 4 hours for marinating.
- Using a griddle or grill, set the temperature to medium.
- Place chicken or rack or griddle and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning once halfway through. Cook until chicken reaches 165. Place chicken on a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Using a large salad bowl, arrange lettuce in the bowl. Top with strawberries, avocado slices, and red onion. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with poppy seed dressing.
Chef’s Salad > Click here for the RECIPE
Berry Spinach Salad > Click here for the RECIPE
Easy Mediterranean Salad > Click here for the RECIPE
Triple Berry Salad with Fried Chicken > Click here for the RECIPE
Cucumber Tomato Salad > Click here for the RECIPE
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.