Lemon Strawberry Shortcake – Delicious strawberry shortcake recipe with a burst of lemon. This recipe goes together easily and meets your ultimate summer dessert cravings.
I was searching for a strawberry recipe with something that I could add lemon to because I just love lemon lately. And I thought this was perfect. Can’t go wrong with good ole strawberry shortcake. It’s a staple American dessert, right? Especially this time of year.
We went strawberry picking again last week. I have never EVER had such sweet berries. They were the best. We ate them by the handfuls. I’m actually surprised any made it home with us because the kids were having a really hard time taking a 25 minute car ride home without gobbling them up.
Isn’t God the sweetest? My heart is full just knowing that he created all these beautiful things in life just for us to enjoy. I have to admit strawberries is really up there on the list of all the beautiful foods he made for us.
Also…debating on whether or not I should let you in on my little secret?
Hmm….. I guess I better. I forgot to put a lemon in the picture when I took these. Didn’t realize til everything was all packed up and the food….Well, the food no longer looked like this
So I had to choose to just the lemon idea go but I couldn’t I was annoyed. It’s a big part of this deliciousness. So I did a horrible job and pasting one into the top picture. It looks horrible and it took me forever to figure out. Anyone want to give me one on one lessons in copying and pasting objects into pictures and making them look good? I’m ready for you!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1½ cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup heaving whipping cream (about 2 cups fresh whipped cream)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, butter, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in strawberries. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Whip heavy cream in a stand mixer for about 3 or 4 minutes until thickened. Stir in vanilla and sugar. Mix again until stiff peaks form.
- Spread fresh whipped cream over cake. Drain strawberries; arrange over top.
Here’s a great tutorial on making fresh whipped cream.
Adapted from Taste of Home
Shared with Whimsy Wednesday, Buns in My Oven, Time to Sparkle, Thrifty Thursdays, Saturday Night Fever, Show Stopper Saturday,Wake Up Wednesdays,Six Sisters Stuff, Link Party Palooza, Creative Ways, Tidy Mom, Best of the Weekend Party, Titus Tuesdays, Show and Share Wednesdays, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Weekend Potluck
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.