New York Style Crumb Cake – Classic comfort food. This perfect tender crumb cake makes a delicious breakfast or dessert alongside coffee.
Behold… the classic New York style crumb cake. It’s been so long since I’ve eaten it. My dad used to buy it the infamous blue and white box by Entemann’s and he adored it. It’s been quite while since I’ve had those cakes but it all came flooding back when I came across this recipe in my Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book.
P.S. Have I mentioned it’s a goal to make every recipe in that book. I’ve got a long ways to go but here are a few favorites on the blog that I have made. Good stuff! ↓ ↓ ↓
I can’t remember how I first heard about Cook’s Illustrated by America’s Test Kitchen. The thought escapes me at the moment. But I’m just ever so grateful I did. These people are experts and their recipes are tried, tested and true. And that makes this baker happy!
Making this cake you first pour the batter into the pan. Smooth it out and then proceed to sprinkle the crumb topping over it. I was thinking “Oh my goodness. This is a ton of crumb here! But I just went with the directions and it was an absolute perfect ratio. The cake rises of course and makes this ultimate delicious New York style crumb cake. Divine, I tell you. Just divine.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Other Delicious Cakes from friends:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces and softened
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 8 inch square baking pan with foil. Place 2 long sheets of foil, criss crossing to make a sling leaving extra foil to hang over edges. Push foil into corners and sides, making completely smooth.
- Whisk melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together in a medium bowl to combine. Add flour and salt with wooden spoon until it resembles thick dough. Set aside to cool and make cake batter.
- Using a stand mixer, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed just until combined. With mixer running, add softened butter 1 piece at a time. Continue beating until mixture is moist crumbs and well blended, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add buttermilk, egg, yolk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape down bowl as necessary.
- Transfer batter to foil lined pan. Using spatula to spread out evenly. Break apart crumb topping in pieces over batter. Top evenly. Bake until crumbs are golden and toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and dust with confectioner's sugar.
Recipe from: Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.