Oven Fried Parmesan Zucchini Sticks – Crunchy zucchini sticks coated with Parmesan cheese and a breadcrumb topping; baked for less fat. Perfect side dish or appetizer for summer!
Zucchini is abundant and once again our family is looking for new ways to enjoy this versatile vegetable. It grows quickly in our garden and we all enjoy it. But we do get tired of just sauteing it. So I have to look around for new ideas.
Now this idea is not new but it’s new to my blog and I thought all of you would appreciate another great way to serve up zucchini this summer. Be sure to check out my jalapeno popper zucchini boats. They’re outrageously good!
A FEW NOTES:
It smells amazing when it’s baking due to the crumb mixture with Parmesan. Its smells like heaven on earth when these are baking and the smell is waffling through the house.
They are so much healthier than many of the fried treats you might ordinarily devour in the summer. Um…let’s just say it’s a tad healthier than your average funnel cake or loaded french fries. So let’s give a shout out for a healthier dish in the summer.
They don’t take long at all to make. They’re easier than they look. Trust me. 🙂
These are versatile. I made them with egg whites and Panko. But feel free to substitute with whole eggs and regular bread crumbs if you’d like. Also feel free to adjust the seasoning to your suite your family’s taste. We love Italian seasoning so I went with that. Feel free to kick it up a notch with touch of cayenne pepper or use your imagination.
What I loved most about these? When the kids actually were asking to eat them before the rest of the meal was even complete. And then on top of that I had some asking for seconds. That’s a winner dish in my book.
Hope your family and loved ones enjoy these as much as my family did! Happy summer.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 medium zucchini
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with a non stick baking mat or spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. Set aside. Place egg whites or eggs in a separate shallow dish.
- Cut each zucchini lengthwise into 8 pieces; cut each piece in half horizontally.
- Dip each piece of zucchini in egg then bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat until all of the sticks are coated. Place them on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until brown and tender.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce.
Recipe adapted from Food.com
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.