Perfect Sweet Tea – Refreshing home brewed sweet tea. Squeeze with lemon for perfect iced cold southern refreshment for those hot summer day. Sweet but not too sweet.
Sweet tea, it’s been a part of life for as long as I can remember. Growing up we always had sweet tea on hand and my mom had an amazing recipe. It’s changed very slightly over the years but it’s oh so delicious. I make the same recipe now for my family and we all love it. Especially on those hot summer days when you just want to chill with an icy glass of goodness, this is our go-to.
It’s so simple too that even my older kids can make for me if I’m busy. Just to note though. The flavor is at it’s absolute best if you allow it to sit after boiling. I usually like to let it sit for at least 2 hours. But I’ve also let it sit for up to 24 hours before adding it to the water and ice in the pitcher. Do what works for you. And might add, try it both ways. Try it for the 2 hour version and then next week try it for 24. See if you notice a difference. The biggest difference I notice is making it immediately versus waiting a few hours. It’s always better to wait a bit.
This tea is well loved. I often get comments from friends about how much they love our sweet tea. People often want a 2nd glass or they want the recipe to make it on their own. So I just thought it would be awesome to share it with you. Give it a try and let me know how you enjoy it!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
- 8 regular black tea bags
- ¾ - 1 cup granulated sugar ( to your sweetness preference)
- 2 large lemons
- Tie the strings of 8 tea bags together in a knot.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar and 2 cups of water over high heat. Bring to a boil. Add tea bags. Immediately turn off heat. Let sit and steep for about 2 hours.
- In a gallon pitcher add steeped tea. Wring out tea bags and add to the pitcher as well. Add 3 cups ice. Fill to gallon line with water. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- For individual glasses, add a slice of fresh lemon and pour over with iced tea. Enjoy!
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.