Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup aka Zuppa Toscana – Creamy soup made with sausage, potato and hearty kale. This Olive Garden Copycat recipe is a delicious with a hint of spice and a family favorite.
Soup. Love. I am a changed woman. 10 years ago you could have offered me soup or salad and it would have been salad every time. Now. It’s soup. Don’t get me wrong I still love salad but I really have to make a hard decision.
Decisions. They’re never easy. Move or Stay? Movie or dinner? Vacation or stay-cation? Soup or salad should be an easy one. But I like to make my life complicated. Not on purpose. But I do.
I can’t decide what I want for lunch. I can’t decide how to spend my time. Which park to go to. But one thing I do know is that I love to eat. So whether or not I eat is not the question. The question is what to eat.
Thanks to all the fabulous bloggers out there like Chris, Consuelo, Natalie, Allie, and Krista my world has just gotten so much more difficult. Just kidding. You ‘guys’ rock! My world has been turned upside down by blogging and sharing side by side with all of you.
This recipe comes to you with loud and long applause from my husband. Remember, he’s my soup guy. He loves soup which is cool. So it has challenged me to never stop trying. There will always be some new soup recipe to try as long as I live. For this one in particular he messaged me. I’ll quote it for you.
“I think that soup might have been better than Olive Garden. Thanks.” I’m impressed not because I can’t cook well. But because he liked it as much as theirs or better. I’m a happy woman. He totally lit me up with those words.
Now you may try it and not feel the same way. But just remember, it’s an opinion, and his is the only one that counts right now. Just kidding! I’d love to know what you think too. Give it a whirl and let me know.
- Just as good.
- Not as good.
I promise I won’t cry if you say it’s no where near as good. Promise. I’ll still love you just the same. But I want to know.
Love and blessings,
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes
- 1½ lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed, torn into pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 cups whole milk
- fresh shredded Parmesan or Romano
- Slice potatoes using a mandoline slicer or slicing blade in the food processor. Boil in water until tender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook and crumble sausage until almost thoroughly cooked. Lower the heat. Add onion. Cook until translucent and tender about 3-5 minutes. Season with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile bring chicken broth, half and half and milk to low simmer. Add sausage/onion mixture. Add kale in batches until wilted. Cook for several minutes until cooked down.
- Add potatoes. Heat through and serve warm with fresh shredded Parmesan or Romano.
Recipe is by Gather for Bread.
I browsed lots of recipes to come up with my own creation. Enjoy!
Linked to: Pin Junkie
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.