Simple Homemade Hot Chocolate – Creamy homemade hot chocolate that is stirs together easy with 5 simple ingredients. This hot cocoa is in your mug in minutes.
Can you think of anything sweeter than a hot cup of cocoa after a cold walk in the snow or an afternoon of sledding? There’s something nostalgic about it. It reminds of my childhood and everything I hold dear in my heart. And I want my kids to have those same sweet memories.
Warm sweet cocoa after some frolicking in the snow. Topped with loads of mini marshmallows or a huge mound of whipped cream. Gosh. I really hope my kids don’t read this. Their mound and my mound don’t have quite the same meaning.
Sometimes I freak out inside my head. Other times it’s right out loud. They put their little finger on that nozzle and you think they’re never going to let go. You’ve had this parenting pleasure, haven’t you? Please tell me I’m not the only one.
“Oh my word! Do you think we’re made of money? Do you know how expensive that whipped cream is?”
“Oh Geez! Now they’re never going to go to bed after all that sugar.”
“Good gracious! Who’s going to clean up that mess?”
But in the end it’s all worth it. Priceless memories made by these sweet little people who are just looking for a warm treat after some hard playing in the snow.
I bet this momma will keep on her holding her tongue. After all, memories are in the making.
Til we meet and eat again,
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups 2 % or whole milk
- Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cocoa and a dash of salt. Slowly stir in hot water. Cook over medium heat, continuing to stir, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and warm to desired temperature.
- Remove mixture from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Optional: Beat with a milk frother until frothy.
- Top with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.
Recipe adapted slightly from: Hershey’s Kitchen
You may also like these:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.