Slow Cooker Clam Chowder – Simple clam chowder recipe for the crock pot. Seafood fans will love this easy creamy homemade soup recipe. It’s comfort food for that long day. Serve with bread and salad for a full meal.
I’m thrilled to share this slow cooker clam chowder with you today. My family loves seafood. Especially when we’re at the beach. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen near as often as we’d like since we live 8 hours from our favorite beach. What we can rely on year round though is comfort foods like this that make us dream that we’re at the beach. See this is how it works. Serve soup surrounded by seashells and such. Look at favorite memory photos of the beach.
Then have everyone close their eyes and pretend that their feet are in the sand, the sun is shining down and the waves are crashing in the background.
OK. I’m killing myself here. It’s going to be another 6 months before our family beach trip. What am I doing to myself?! Stop. Back to slow cooker clam chowder. This soup is both delicious and easy. It comes together quickly. Heats up in the slow cooker while you go about your day. When you come back all you have to do is thicken it a bit on the stove for a few minutes. If you’re a seafood fan give this soup a try. You won’t regret it a single moment.
P.S. Here’s my favorite slow cooker. I’ve had it for over 5 years and it’s still going strong!
Everyday Made Fresh | Feast + West | Our Mini Family | Flavours and Frosting
A Savory Feast | Gather for Bread | Winstead Wandering | According to Laura Jean
Dash of Herbs | Stay Gold Autumn | Love Pasta and a Toolbelt | Sustaining the Powers
Cute as a Fox | Boone + Owl | Polka Dotted Blue Jay | Wetherills Say I Do
We are so excited to share this giveaway with our readers! Enter March 7-14th to win a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer! All entries will be verified, so please play fair. Embrace your inner foodie with a beautiful stand mixer.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 russet potatoes (about 1½ lbs) peeled, diced
- 3 cans chopped clams (6.5 ounces each)
- 1 (8 ounces) bottle clam juice
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup whole or 2% milk
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- Oyster or saltine crackers, as needed
- In the pot of a slow cooker, add diced onions and potatoes.
- Add 2 full cans of clams with juice and 1 can without clam juice. Discard remaining juice or save for another purpose.
- Add 1 bottle clam juice, thyme, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir together.
- Cover pot and cook on high for 4 hours.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add in flour. Stir; mixture will be thick. Slowly add milk and half and half. Stir and continue to cook over medium heat until thickened. Add mixture to slow cooker. Stir and cook on low for another 30 minutes. Ladle into bowls. Top with bacon. Serve with oyster or saltine crackers.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
You may also enjoy:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.