S’mores whoopie pies. A knock off of the classic s’mores treats. These delicious cookie sandwiches are made with melty marshmallow and smooth chocolate. Perfect for all ages.
This recipe I bring to you today is a knock off of the classic s’mores treats. It’s all American. Isn’t it? It almost seems like one of the quotas you should have to meet to be an American.
Here’s my non official list to be sure you’re an American:
1. You must try s’mores at least once in your life.
2. While I’m thinking about smores I think it should be mandatory to go camping at least once.
3. While I’m thinking of camping…You must take a road trip.
4. You must love french fries. Why? I don’t know. It just seems right.
5. You must own or have owned at least one pet. Don’t ask how many we have tried over the last 14 years.
OK. You want to know.
– A black lab/German shepherd. (kept for 6 months)
– Fish (had for about 9-12 months)
– A parakeet (about 9-12 months)
– A stray cat that we fed for a while (2 months)
– Chickens 3 + 3 ( 2 were roosters [had to go], 2 were eaten by hawks, 1 was butchered and 1 went back to the farm.
– A cockapoo (currently have) How long do you think we’ll last with her? 😉
Geez, we’ve tried a lot. I think I’m done trying to be an American. I’ll settle for whatever at this point.
So what do you think it takes to be an American? Just remember it must include eating s’mores or s’mores whoopie pies. 😉
Love and blessings,
- For cookies:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup finely crushed graham crackers (about 9 whole crackers)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup marshmallow cream
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 (1.55 oz) Hershey's bars or other good quality chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- In a small bowl stir milk, vanilla, baking soda and vinegar together, set aside.
- In mixer beat butter and brown sugar together for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add the eggs and the buttermilk and beat until combined. Turn speed to low and slowly add in flour mixture and milk mixture. Turn mixer to medium and beat for another minute. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto lined baking sheet. Allow at least 2 inches in between cookies.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until cookies are set. Let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to wire rack.
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Mix in marshmallow and confectioners sugar. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time as needed. Mix in vanilla. Whip for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Melt chocolate in microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each. Continue to heat in 30 seconds at a time until melted.
- Spoon a tablespoon sized amount of melted chocolate on the bottom cookie, spreading to the edge of the cookie. Pipe or spread buttercream on the remaining, non-chocolate cookies. Leave room at the edge for the frosting to spread when sandwiched. Top it with another cake, flat-side down.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Adapted from Whoopie Pies Cookbook