Spinach Tortellini Soup – This tortellini soup is chock full of veggies and flavor. Perfect weeknight meal. Pair up with bread for a healthy lunch or dinner.
Recently we were give some Barilla tortellini. I had never purchased dried tortellini before so I was a little hesitant about what it would taste like. Before preparing the pasta the one day I decided to do a little research for myself about the different types of tortellini.
They are 3 varieties available and like many things in the grocery store it can be confusing on what to purchase. There is dry, refrigerated and frozen. Now, just from the sound of the 3 I thought the dry would be the least flavorful. I mean it’s dried out for pete’s sake. Surely the refrigerated would be best.
Then I came across this link from Cook’s Country that rated Barilla the best tortellini. I’m impressed the dry won out over the refrigerated and frozen. That’s almost too hard to believe. But that’s fine by me. And we got several bags for free!
Besides just cooking it up I wanted to do something a little different with it. And since everyone knows we are the huge soup fans, soup it was.
Hubby texted me that day asked what was for dinner. I texted back ‘spinach tomato tortellini soup’. He didn’t text back but later told me he was not impressed with the sounds of that soup.
Well, it’s just like me to blow his mind. He loved it. And so did the rest of us.
New soup on the rotating menu for this family. Hope you feel the same way about this delicious bowl.
I’m thinking of challenging myself to a different soup every week til the end of the year. Think I could do it? There really are so many varieties out there. So it’s an attainable goal I would think.
Who knows how many more soups are out there in this great world that we would enjoy. There’s all sorts of ethnic soups that we haven’t even touched yet. Some we many like. Others not so much.
I’ll let you know as the year progresses if we are on target or not. 🙂 Have a great day!
Til we meet and eat again,
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 10 oz package dried tortellini
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a small stock pot or dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, seasoning.Give it a stir. Bring to a boil over high or medium-high heat. Add tortellini. Cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in fresh spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.
Linked to Thrifty Thursday, Buns in My Oven, Best of the Weekend Party, Show Stopper @ Joyful Healthy Easts