Spring Asparagus Soup – Asparagus soup boasting with flavor of spinach, onions, potatoes and carrots. All the beauty of spring wrapped in one delicious bowl.
Asparagus, the spring vegetable of all vegetables. Gorgeous, wholesome and good. What’s a better idea than roasting it? I’m not sure there is one. But I decided to take it a step further and after roasting I created a gorgeous soup.
I am not a huge fan of pureed soups. And every time I look for an aspargus soup all I could find were green pureed soups. Now, that may taste good to you, my friend. But I still have my teeth and I really don’t like just sucking down the soup. However, there is one exception to my rule. Tomato soup. I don’t care if it’s smooth, chunky or monkey. I love the stuff!
So this soup is my own creation dazzling with asparagus as the main star. If you like your soup creamier vs broth-ier (Take note: Wikipedia new word on the internet.) feel free to sub out some of the chicken broth for more half and half, heavy cream or milk.
I tend to keep most of my soups on the broth side because I really hate to go up in jean size. I mean that’s like the worst feeling ever. In addition to that I really do prefer broth based soups.
Isn’t asparagus gorgeous? I love looking at all of God’s creations with new wonder and excitement. Who else could get things to grow out of the ground from a seed that would nourish us with life? There is no other. Only one amazing God could do that. And to think he did it all for us. With creativity and color and beauty. He never ceases to amaze me.
I hope you’re enjoying this beautiful spring. After such a long rough winter. I feel like I’m experiencing it in ways I never have before. The birds chirping, the flowers beginning to bud, the soft breezes. It all feels so delicious. What’s your favorite part about spring?
Til we meet and eat again friends,
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 8-9 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup half and half
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Roast asparagus for about 10 minutes until nicely browned.
- Set aside. After cooled cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add chopped onion and cook until fragrant, translucent and softened. Add garlic. Cook for a minute longer.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a low boil. Add potatoes and carrots. Turn heat down to simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Stir in half and half and fresh spinach. Cook just for a few minutes more until heated through.