Apple Cream Cheese Braid Danish – A tender apple danish with cream cheese filling. This braid is beautiful for a brunch or dessert buffet. A stunning dessert that’s perfect for fall.
I love day dreaming about food. It’s fun. Try it some time if you never have.
I love dreaming up plans for what’s in season. Now this is by no means some radically new concoction. But I made up this sweet dough and couldn’t wait to pair it with apples and cream cheese for fall.
If the thought of a braid intimidates you don’t let it. I used to look at recipes like this and think no way. But it’s much easier than it looks. I promise.
Just promise that you’ll use well-floured parchment or a silicone mat so it won’t stick on you. Because then you might just want to throw in a ball and hurl it at the wall. It’s not like I’ve ever wanted to do that with dough before. *wink*
I’m not usually a danish type girl. But when I do think of danish I think of….You know that stuff that starts with and E* and comes in a blue and white box at the grocery store. Decent stuff but I don’t buy it. I’ve had it before though.
This ended up being so much better than even in my day dream. So much better than E*.
I’m hooked. I’m already dreaming up what else I can combine it with or how to switch it up.
This apple cream cheese braid danish oozes with cinnamony goodness. Yup. There goes spell check. Cinnamony isn’t even a word. C’mon how is that possible?
Appley – Cinnamony – Cream Cheesy goodness. Oh cheesy is a word. Good. One out of three ain’t bad. Don’t tell anyone that I just used words that aren’t words.
Love you all!
Thanks for stopping by!
Apple Cream Cheese Braid Danish
- 6 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk not skim- I used 2%
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 medium-large apples peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Vanilla Drizzle (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 5 5 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat butter, sugar, water and milk to 120F.
- Combine 2 cups flour, salt and yeast in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center. Add butter mixture. Mix in additional 1/2 cup flour and egg. Knead on low speed for about 7-8 minutes scraping down bowl as needed. Add additional 1/2 cup of flour while kneading if necessary. Dough should be smooth.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for about an hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, over low heat combine apples, butter, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Heat until apples are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Mix until smooth.
- After dough has doubled in bulk. On floured parchment or silicone mat roll out dough into a large rectangle about 12 x 10.
- Spread cream cheese filling down the center. Arrange apple mixture on top.
- Using a pizza cutter cut diagonally from end of dough towards center in 1 inch strips. Do this on both sides.
- Starting on one side of the braid pull one strip up and over the braid. Repeat with the other side. Continue alternating until braid is complete.
- Cover loosely with plastic. Let rise for about 30-40 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes or until braid is golden brown.
- Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Drizzle over braid. Serve warm or allow to cool and then serve. Delicious either way.
Inspiration from: Baking Illustrated
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.