Cheddar Cheese Bread Twists – Homemade dough makes these cheesy bread twists so good! Made from scratch with buttermilk these will be a new family favorite!
Are you a bread lover but never tried to make bread yourself? I’m with you! That was me about 5 years again. Yeast scared me to death. And one year I made it a goal. I was going to conquer yeast. I just declared in my mind that I wouldn’t let it stand in my way any longer.
So I began baking and fooling around with doughs in the kitchen. I can’t remember where exactly I started but I’m pretty sure it was simple loaf of sandwich bread similar to this one. Between that and pizza dough I had my heart set and my taste buds longing.
I just bit off little pieces at a time as my friend, Crystal says. I didn’t go gung-ho wishing I could make bread braids and pull apart and dinner rolls. I choose 2 things and stuck with those. Once they got easier I moved on.
These cheddar cheese bread twists are pretty simple. These would be great for a beginner baker. Don’t be alarmed the twist is super simple. Just pretend your twisting some pretty ribbon. Be delicate about it and they’ll turn out fabulous. YOU can do this!
Here’s a few photos to guide you through.
1. Roll out (risen dough)
2. Butter and sprinkle with cheese.
3. Top with remaining dough. (Or you can make it harder for yourself like me by forgetting to top with remaining dough, cutting in strips and taking pictures before hand). See it all works out well in the end. 🙂 I have the pictures to prove it.
3. Cut in strips.
4. Twist those babies up
5. Line up on a tray.
6. You did it!
The cheese lends an a soft wonderful taste on your lips. These are amazing with a big bowl of soup or salad. Dinner or lunch is served. Now that’s my kind of meal. Will you join me? 🙂
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion
Cheddar Cheese Bread Twists
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water 110° to 115°
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1-1/2 cups 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese optional
- In a large saucepan, heat the buttermilk and cheese over low heat. Stir until cheese is melted (mixture will look weird or curdled). Cool to 110° to 115°.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and yeast in warm water. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Add buttermilk mixture, eggs, salt and 3 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Put dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Or alternately knead in using a stand mixer fitted with dough hook for 5-6 minutes.Put dough in greased bowl. Turn dough once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Press dough down. Place on a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Brush each rectangle with half of melted butter. Top with cheese and remaining dough.
- Cut into twelve 1-1/2-in. strips. Cut each strip in half and twist. Place 1 inch apart on greased foil-lined baking sheets or use non stick baking mats. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Recipe adapted from: Taste of Home
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.