Creamy Seafood Chowder – How to make a delicious thick seafood chowder with real cream, shrimp, scallops, and crab. This recipe is the BEST. No potatoes or fillers, thick and creamy with the perfect flavor.
Today I’m bringing you seafood chowder. This recipe has been a favorite of mine for quite a few years now. For Christmas eve we would visit my husband’s aunt and uncle’s house with all the extended family. It’s a great evening with family and delicious food. My husband’s family is Italian so there was always pasta, Italian bread, and an antipasto platter. But this is the food that captured me every year. I couldn’t help but go back for seconds.
I asked his aunt to share the recipe and she kindly did. So this year I made it at home. Oh dear, there is no greater joy in the food world than deliciousness passing through your lips. All 5 of us in our family love seafood so it gets a bit expensive.
But Christmas and New Years are the perfect time to splurge on delicacies that we don’t get to enjoy regularly. So even if you can’t afford to make this creamy seafood chowder year round, I encourage you to try it if just for the special occasions in life.
It is simply the best seafood soup I’ve ever had. I can’t wait to make it again. But I highly doubt that it will only be for Christmas. Pretty soon I’ll be coming up with all sorts of occasions to make this.
- Last day of fall?
- First day back to school after Christmas break?
- My birthday? And every birthday for that matter.
- How about the fact that I slept really good last night? Surely I can come up with all sorts of things.
A new years tradition for many includes seafood. How about your family? Is shrimp and crab part of your New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day tradition? I’d love to hear your typical celebratory food for New Year’s!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Creamy Seafood Chowder
How to make a delicious thick seafood chowder with real cream, shrimp, scallops, and crab. This recipe is the BEST. No potatoes or fillers, thick and creamy with the perfect flavor.
- 8 ounces 1 stick butter, divided
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 cup milk 2% or whole
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 cups seafood stock
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 2/3 pound scallops chopped
- 2/3 pound crab meat lump or claw
- 1/4 cup cooking white cooking wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
In a Dutch oven or small stock pot melt 6 ounces butter over medium-low heat. Saute onion, garlic and celery until softened and translucent.
- Whisk in flour. Cook and stir. Do not allow it to burn.
Slowly pour in milk, half and half, and seafood stock stirring constantly as you pour. Continue to stir until thickened and heated through. Turn to low.
- On a separate burner saute shrimp and scallops in remaining 2 ounces of butter. Cook and stir until opaque about 4-5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and scallop mixture to soup. Stir in crab meat, white wine, paprika and sugar. Simmer and stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Turn off heat
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
adapted slightly from a recipe from my aunt Toni
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.