Blueberry Cornmeal Skillet Cake – Easy delicious cornmeal cake that bakes in your skillet. Fresh blueberries, simple ingredients and tasty results! Short on time? This recipe comes to the rescue with fresh fruit and easy preparation.
Spring and summer means bring on the berries. I adore berry picking season. I drag the kids along while they complain about the heat, have to go the bathroom (of course!), eat 569 berries that we’re supposed to be bringing home. But it’s all good. It’s all about the memories. Right?
I grew up in the city of Philadelphia. So my summers were spent in sprinkler at the park, going downtown for fun festivities. I mean who can resist free Wawa hoagie day, right?
My summers were spent differently then what my kids are experiencing here in the South Central PA. Our summers include strawberry picking, blueberry picking and raspberry picking. It’s every kids dream summer, right? 😉 Now, we do have other fun too. Like bike rides, trips to the park, fun days at the lake and so on.
But every time spring rolls around, I just plant seeds in my head of bare feet, green grass and me sipping something cold with fruit. Like this delish lemonade or this ultra refreshing tea. I’m just torturing myself here. Because as I type this it’s a mere 41 degrees. Super nice, right? Summer I know you’re coming. I’m depending on you. My dreams are too. Please come quickly!
Thanks for being here. If you make this recipe tag me on social media. I’d love to see it!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
Blueberry Cornmeal Skillet Cake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar divided
- 1/3 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place a 10 -inch skillet in the oven to preheat.
- Meanwhile use a large bowl to combine flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt 8 tablespoons butter. Microwave for 20 second intervals until melted. Stirring in between, just until melted. Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. In the dry ingredients make a well in the center. Pour in the melted butter. Stir just until moistened.
- Take hot skillet out of the oven. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, swirl and let it coat the entire bottom. Spread half of batter into pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup of blueberries. Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35-45 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Paula Deen Magazine