I have a new love that I discovered this past year. Are you in love with it too? It’s this drink called coffee.
It all happened about 8 months ago when I decided to spoil the hubby and buy him a Keurig for Father’s Day. Little did I know I was buying myself something awesome too.
Seriously, I hated coffee. Loved the smell. Loved being a barista. Yes. Fun fact. I was a barista for 2 1/2 years and it was a fun job.
The entire time I worked there I never liked coffee. I enjoyed working around it. Sort of wanted to like it but just couldn’t get past that bitter taste.
Fast forward to June 2013. Hubby opens the Keurig. He’s happy with it. He occassionally makes himself a cup of interesting sounding coffee. I ask for a sip. Hmmm. Not bad.
Next week. Repeat with a different flavor. Not bad. Next thing you know I’m preparing a cup just for myself.
It felt like the strangest thing ever. But at the same time it felt so normal and comforting.
This coffee thing has really been helping me get through these cold bitter months here in Pennsylvania. I’m so glad I fell in love with it.
These muffins came from my coffee love that I want to incorporate into a yummy muffin. Why can’t I have a cup of coffee with a coffee muffin? It can happen.
So I made it happen. They’re quite yummy. My 11 year confirmed it by saying that he wants these for his birthday.
I was thinking, “Are you seriously giving up a birthday cake for an espresso muffin?” But hey, he’ll be 12. If the boy wants espresso muffins I’ll make him espresso muffins.
His birthday isn’t until June so we’ll just have to wait around and see if there aren’t 15 other awesome things that I bake between now and then to change that. 🙂
Hope I’ve inspired you to take a taste of coffee.
P.S. You may like these even if you’re not a coffee lover. You never know!
Love and blessings,
Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1 Tablespoon espresso coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp butter ½ stick, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Melt butter in microwave. Let cool.
- In a small bowl dissolve espresso in milk. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg. Mix in dark brown sugar, melted butter, milk mixture and vanilla. Mix just until combined. Don't over mix. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan about 2/3 full and bake immediately.
- Bake 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool.
To prepare glaze:
- Boil water. Pour into a small bowl and immediately dissolve espresso granules. Stir until completely dissolved. Stir in powdered sugar. Stir until thickened and smooth. Drizzle over muffins.
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.