I adore this recipe. I do. It is so good. I’m hooked! I found it several years back and haven’t look back. OK. That was pathetic.
Anyway, orange chicken is my go to for Chinese. I just think it’s delicious and tasty.
If it’s not on the menu, why bother going, right?
Well I’ve since expanded my horizons when it comes to Chinese and I enjoy a lot of other menu items now. But for a while it was orange chicken and egg rolls. That’s it. I know. Boring. Right?
Anyway, I do love this dish. But I am not opposed to finding an even more fabulous orange chicken recipe. So if you know of one send it my way. I’d be happy to test it out.
Fabulous Orange Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2" cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice fresh or refrigerated
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oven to 350. In a shallow dish combine the flour, garlic powder and pepper. Dip each piece of chicken in flour mixture and coat evenly.
- Pour melted butter in a shallow baking dish, large enough to accommodate chicken in a single layer. Arrange chicken in pan and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine water, orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, orange zest and whisk over medium heat for a few minutes. Then stir in brown sugar, ginger, and garlic and let it come to a boil. With a whisk combine cornstarch with water. Whisk until dissolved and add it to the sauce until thickened.
- After chicken has baked the 30 minutes, turn each piece over and pour 1/2 sauce mixture evenly over chicken. Bake another 30 to 40 minutes. Bast occasionally.
- Serve chicken over rice with extra sauce on the side.
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.