A childhood favorite, creamy baked macaroni and cheese. Makeover of all time classic, all the flavor with less fat.
Perfect comfort food. Yeah. What about it? The one that takes you back to childhood. Or the one that makes you want to be no where else but home. Or the one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
This home made macaroni and cheese does all three for me. I remember eating this macaroni and cheese as far back as I can remember at age of 5. I remember having it for dinner. I remember having it for summer picnics as my great aunt’s house. My great aunt Kathryn, that is. Whom I also happen to be named after.
Melanie Kathryn. That’s my name. I’m not one of those people who hates their name. No, my mom and dad did well. *clap* Love you!
I’ve always loved my middle name. Thought about using it for my own daughter perhaps. But ultimately decided against it. Some day I’ll tell you where my first name came from. Don’t you just love suspense? I do. So I’ll hope you be back to hear the story some day. 🙂
Back to macaroni and cheese. This dish rocks, as I mentioned. But it is a boatload of calories. So I lightened it up a bit. Trust me. I’m not saying that it’s now worthy of being a diet or low fat food. But it’s a lot easier for me to enjoy knowing that I’ve cut back on the fat and calories.
So I hope you’ll mix up some of my favorite comfort food soon. I’m sure you’ll love it!
Love to all,
- Favorite Macaroni and Cheese ~ Lightened Up
- 16 oz (1 lb) elbow macaroni
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 5 cups milk (1%)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅓ cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Slowly add milk and continue to stir. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Add cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Remove from heat.
- Stir cheese mixture with macaroni. Pour into a lightly greased 3 qt baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over top. Garnish with additional cheese if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.