How to Make Stromboli – Recipe for how to make homemade stromboli made with pizza dough. Real dough, stuffed with pepperoni, salami and cheese for an authentic Italian dinner.
Today I’m sharing all the details how to make stromboli at home. Please tell me you know what stromboli is!
Then I won’t have to go about explaining it’s deliciousness. You know… the good crisp dough baked to perfection filled with tomato sauce and oozy gooey mozzarella cheese with a bed of salami and pepperoni. And then you top it off with some Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese and a nice brush of egg to make it golden brown and purty.
To get started:
Roll out the dough into a rectangle. See mine? It doesn’t have to be perfect. But a nice rectangle or oval is ideal. Approximately 15 x 10 inches. Of course, this can vary. Your dough will just be thicker or thinner, depending.
Spread with sauce and a layer of mozzarella cheese. I use freshly shredded because I’m snobby like that.
See, I won’t have to describe it to you if you already know. So I’ll save time and energy. Oh wait, I just…did I really? My goodness, I can’t resist preaching about stromboli. It’s just like having another cup of coffee. There’s no need to ask, discuss or ponder. It’s just a given. I can’t resist describing the things that I adore making in the kitchen. Stromboli is one of my new favs.
Well, it’s always been a delicious piece of work. Except for the fact that I wasn’t very successful with it. But thanks to all my recent hard work in the kitchen, my taste buds are paying off and I may or may not have to buy some looser clothes…we’ll see.
Layer on the meats.
Early on when I tried to make homemade stromboli it would split open inevitably and all the goodness of cheeses would come running forth all over the tray. I think I forget to tell the darned thing that it was supposed to stay inside. Just be safe, and stay inside the crust. But it happened every time.
Make egg wash by whisking one egg and 1 tablespoon water. Spread over the edges of the dough.
Fold over each side (see picture)
Stretch long sides to meet. Pinch to close. Flip so that sealed side is underneath.
Cut 2-3 inch slits with a small paring knife.
(This allows heat to escape so it doesn’t puff up.)
Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and herbs.
It’s ready to bake!
After some research, I realized the egg wash trick. Brush some egg on the seams and it should hold tight and keep the gooey cheese goodness inside. It’s been working for me! And I want to see it work for you.
There are so many amazing varieties of stromboli but I decided to just share a traditional one since that’s the one my family loves best. I, on the other hand, love the steak version. But perhaps that will happen in the future. Maybe for game day recipes or similar.
This stromboli is stuffed with fresh mozzarella cheese, layered with salami and pepperoni. It’s oh so good! And my hubby says he can’t wait until I make it again.
Have questions? Leave a comment, I’ll do my best to help you get this right the first time.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
How to Make Stromboli
- 1 recipe for Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 jar or can pizza sauce 15 ounces, divided
- 8 ounces mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 3 ounces pepperoni slices
- 6 ounces Genoa Salami
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough of one loaf into an approximate 9 X 13-inch rectangle. Spread 1/3 cup of pizza sauce over the dough, making sure you leave about ½ inch of around the edges plain. You'll need the dough to stick together at the edges to roll it and pinch it. Layer the with pepperoni and salami. Fold in the sides and tuck and roll the loaf.
- Place the stromboli, with the seam side down on a greased baking sheet or parchment lined sheet.
- Whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush the outside of the dough with egg wash. Be sure to brush the top and sides.
- Using a paring knife, cut diagonal 2-inch slits on the top of the dough (this allows for venting).
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into 2-3 inch pieces using a bread knife or pizza cutter. Serve immediately.
- Serve with remaining pizza sauce that has been warmed.
The link for the homemade pizza dough makes enough for 2 pizzas.
The ingredients listed are for only 1 stromboli. Feel free to make 2 strombolis but you'll need to double the ingredients. Or freeze other pizza dough for another time or use.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE STROMBOLI
Other awesome stromboli recipes
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.