Here ye. Here ye. I do declare. A new healthy dish is here for all to prepare.
I just got back from the beach and I’m thinking I need to ditch that feeling of ‘I ate too much.’ Ugh. Salads and veggies oh my.
Gotta love a new dish for dinner that’s 100% healthy. I also gotta love a new dish that uses up more of my garden vegetables.
This one involves stuffing those uber delicious peppers with lots of quinoa, other veggies and lots of love. OK. Even though I stuffed with lots of love that doesn’t mean my kids ate them with lots of love. *wink* I bet if I stuffed them with bacon they would eat them.
Here’s to a healthy dish that I should eat more often.
Quinoa & Vegetable Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 6 each medium bell peppers
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 medium carrots finely chopped
- 1 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 banana pepper finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1/4 tsp dried
- fresh Parmesan cheese finely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring the quinoa and stock to a boil. Cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the grain looks translucent, 12 to 15 minutes. Then fluff with a fork. You will have about 4 cups of cooked grain.
- Drizzle the bell pepper halves with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Roast cut-side down until the peppers are just tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Place in a baking dish cut side up.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, carrots, onions and banana peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook partially covered to tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the herbs and tomatoes, and combine with the quinoa.
- Fill the pepper halves with the quinoa and vegetable filand drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 375 degree about 15-20 minutes or until the peppers are hot through.
Adapted from Rachael Ray
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.