Sweet Cherry Hand Pies – Handheld cherry pies made with sweet fresh cherries. All whole ingredients, made with real dough, make a perfect summer dessert that’s easy to share and great for hands.
It’s so crazy that it’s August already, the summer’s been whizzin by like it does every year while I scramble to get it all in. The harvesting, the baking, the relaxing, the cooking, the adventures, the sights and the smells. I’m taking it all in as best as I know how.
6 months from now I’ll be dreaming about green grass, pool splashing and fresh cherries. So for now I soak and I live it up to it’s fullest.
Cherry picking only happened once. But I’ll say once is better than nothing and I’ll just be thankful for that once. In the meantime I’ve made cherry hand pies to eat and savor. These are so easy to share. No mess. It’s all neatly tucked into a nice little pastry to enjoy.
Thanks for being here friends!
Til we meet and eat again,
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
Cherry Hand Pies
Dough:2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup 16 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold sour cream
Cherry Pie Filling:
- 2 cups cherries fresh pitted or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg beaten
For the dough:
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Add butter until the mixture crumbles. Using dough blade add sour cream through the top chute and mix for about 1 minute or until mixture comes together and forms a dough ball.
- Remove the dough gently flatten into a log about 8" x 10" rectangle. Fold it into thirds.Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Meanwhile combine the cherries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with baking liner or parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough into a large square, about 14" x 14" . With a pastry cutter or pizza cutter cut dough into 3 1/2" squares, making 16 all together.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of cherry pie filling onto 8 of the squares. Brush a bit of the beaten egg along edge for sealing. Cut slits or a decorative shape in the empty squares. Place over top of the cherry squares. Use a fork to crimp edges closed.
- Bake the hand pies for about 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from: King Arthur Flour
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.