I was first introduced to this salsa at a friend’s house for a Mexican dinner. It was so good that I couldn’t stop raving about it. I guess I wouldn’t shut up about it so they sent me home with leftovers. Nah, they’re just gracious friends who love food as much as I do.
I really must have overdid the raving because they made it for my birthday too. I’m so special. What a gift though. I got the recipe to go with it. So that’s technically a gift that keeps on giving, right? I get to make it whenever I want now.
Anyway, ever since that day I have officially fallen in love with mango salsa. It’s so good. Great combination of sweet with zip. It’s great with tortilla chips. Don’t get me wrong it’s perfect to eat just by the spoonful. But I figured, why not pair it up with tilapia, my go-to fish dinner.
Tilapia, is a mild fish. I can get everyone in my house to eat and it’s fairly cheap. What’s not to like then, right?
If fish scares you away at least try the salsa. It’s delish!
Tilapia with Mango Salsa
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup peeled diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of lime
- 3 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh basil
- 4-6 tilapia fillets thawed
- 1/4 cup flour
- Combine the mango, cucumber, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice and cilantro leaves and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place juice of lime, 2 Tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper garlic and basil in a zip top gallon sized bag. Add tilapia. Shift marinade around and seal tight. Place in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive to a large skillet. Heat over medium heat.
- Remove tilapia fillets from bag one at a time. Shake off excess marinade. Dredge in flour. Place in skillet. Cook 3 minutes. Flip cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until tilapia flakes easily and is cooked through.
Recipe source for salsa: Food Network
Recipe source for tilapia: carmelmoments
Leave a Reply