Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Chowder – Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Chowder – Delicious creamy soup with ham and a variety of veggies. Family loved this rich soup. Perfect for that leftover ham!
I pray that all of you had a blessed Easter and enjoyed your day with friends or family! Our day was very low key. The 2 youngest were sick with the stomach bug on Friday and Saturday. And the little guy had it straight through until Sunday. He couldn’t even go to church. (No fun!) But we made the best of it anyway.
We hung out in the yard. Enjoyed Easter lunch together. And passed around the Resurrection Eggs to share the greatest story ever told. Have you ever heard about the Resurrection Eggs? They’re the coolest thing! And I’m sorry that it’s past Easter and I’m just now telling you about them. But definitely keep them in mind for next year! Here’s a link to a set if you’re interested in seeing them.
They’re just an awesome way to tell the little ones about the sacrifice and meaning of Easter. My kids still enjoy them and it’s a hands-on family affair rather than just reading a bible chapter.
So does anyone still have leftover ham? It’s Wednesday but we still do! It was a big ham but we do that on purpose, of course. Because we love ham and we love soup. So leftover ham for soup just makes me happy. The meat’s already cooked and it’s so easy to throw together a soup.
This cheesy ham and vegetable chowder was fabulously delish! Therefore it was a hit for the whole family. Definitely a double batch worthy! My hubby is so glad that there are leftovers involved because soup is his go-to lunch. And when we don’t have any he has no idea what to pack for lunch.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven or small stockpot, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, and chicken broth. Let simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour to combine. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk whisking as you pour. Add salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil, cooking for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add thickened mixture to vegetable mixture. Add the ham. Simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese and mix until melted and thoroughly combined.
Recipe from: Taste of Home
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.