Basic Homemade White Bread – Simple and easy homemade white bread made with all purpose flour. This made from scratch loaf is perfect for sandwiches, toast or to slather with jelly.
Today, my friends, we’re going back. Back to the basics. Today we’re sharing a basic homemade white bread loaf. This bread is easy to prepare, makes 2 delicious loaves and is perfect for sandwiches, grilled cheese, toast and more. You’ll fall in love with homemade bread all over again after this perfect loaf.
I’ve shared many bread recipes you, both with white and whole wheat flours. With rye flour and with multiple flours. But today it’s my joy and pleasure to present the simple stuff of life. We all need it more. Simple and straightforward.
Mix up the dough and let it rise in a greased bowl with covered plastic.
Let rise about 1 hour, until doubled.
Place on a floured surface. Separate into 2 pieces. Shape into 2 loaves.
Place in prepared 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pans. Let rise again for about 1 hour or until ready to bake. Use the ‘poke test’. Flour a finger and insert into the loaf. If the indent stays, it’s ready to bake.
I’m pretty sure you’ll fall in love with homemade bread too once you give this simple loaf a try. There’s just nothing that compare to the freshness and taste of homemade!
Making this loaf and have question? I’d love to help us much as possible. Leave a comment or shoot me an email melanie @ gatherforbread (dot) com. I’ll do my best to help you conquer baking bread in the kitchen.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Basic Homemade White Bread
- 1 package 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water 110° to 115°
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, stir yeast and warm water together. Let dissolve. Add the sugar, salt, softened butter and 3 cups flour. Using a stand mixer, beat until smooth. Stir remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until it forms a soft dough. Knead with stand mixer for about 7-9 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Grease a large bowl. Place dough in greased bowl. Turn once to coat. Cover with plastic or a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Press dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a loaf. Place in two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 -or 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover again and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.