Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole – A delicious layering of potatoes, a creamy sauce, red peppers and fresh sausage. This easy casserole is perfect for breakfast or dinner and contains no canned or fake ingredients.
I present to you this delicious cheesy potato sausage casserole. As I present I ask, when you heard the word casserole: Is it complete dread or happiness?
For me, casseroles sometimes sound boring. Seriously. They sound like what granny would bring to the ‘All You Can Eat Casserole Supper’ at church. But guess what?
I’ve learned to love casseroles. And the simplicity of an all-in-one-dish sometimes falls far from my brain, especially as time goes by. And then comes the request from the hubster. “Can you please make some more casseroles?” I think he usually says please. Hmm…maybe he doesn’t. Either way I like to make me hubby happy. How about you?
Besides God there’s no one else I’d rather make pleased. And casseroles do it for my man. This one came about recently when looking for something a bit different that what I usually serve.
What I love about this dish:
- No canned ingredients (yay!)
- Fresh from scratch ingredients
- Serve for breakfast or dinner
- Veggies, potato and meat (all in one)
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound loose chicken or pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare creamy soup mixture by melting butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour. Continue to stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Cook over low-medium heat continuing to stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until thoroughly cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Combine creamy soup mixture, milk, salt and pepper.
- Grease a 2 qt baking dish. Layer ingredients as follows: half of the potatoes, creamy milk mixture, peppers and sausage/onion. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake 60-65 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Continue to bake, uncovered for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe adapted from: Taste of Home
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.