Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole – A delicious layering of potatoes, a creamy sauce, red peppers and fresh sausage. This easy casserole is perfect for breakfast or dinner and contains no canned or fake ingredients.
I present to you this delicious cheesy potato sausage casserole. As I present I ask, when you heard the word casserole: Is it complete dread or happiness?
For me, casseroles sometimes sound boring. Seriously. They sound like what granny would bring to the ‘All You Can Eat Casserole Supper’ at church. But guess what?
I’ve learned to love casseroles. And the simplicity of an all-in-one-dish sometimes falls far from my brain, especially as time goes by. And then comes the request from the hubster. “Can you please make some more casseroles?” I think he usually says please. Hmm…maybe he doesn’t. Either way I like to make me hubby happy. How about you?
Besides God there’s no one else I’d rather make pleased. And casseroles do it for my man. This one came about recently when looking for something a bit different that what I usually serve.
What I love about this dish:
- No canned ingredients (yay!)
- Fresh from scratch ingredients
- Serve for breakfast or dinner
- Veggies, potato and meat (all in one)
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
BLOGLOVIN’ | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK | SNAPCHAT: @GATHERFORBREAD | TWITTER | PERISCOPE
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound loose chicken or pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare creamy soup mixture by melting butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour. Continue to stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Cook over low-medium heat continuing to stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until thoroughly cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Combine creamy soup mixture, milk, salt and pepper.
- Grease a 2 qt baking dish. Layer ingredients as follows: half of the potatoes, creamy milk mixture, peppers and sausage/onion. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake 60-65 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Continue to bake, uncovered for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe adapted from: Taste of Home
I’m pretty sure the.boy would eat casseroles every day if I let him! this would be a definite winner.
Oh good! So my hubby’s not the only one.
Shashi @ RunninSrilankan says
Melanie, you had me at “cheesy potato..” then you threw in sausages and I was bowled over! This is comfort food at its finest! Thanks for sharing – Merry Christmas! xxs
Merry Christmas to you as well Shashi! Blessings!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Oh wow, this casserole looks fantastic, Melanie! You can never go wrong with cheese and potatoes together. And I love the addition of sausage, too! Pinned!
I totally agree! Thanks for pinning.
I just love that this casserole can double-up for both breakfast and dinner! My kinda casserole right there—LOOVE all that gorgeous cheesy goodness! Pinning. 🙂
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
complete dread?!! what are you talking about? 🙂 I love casseroles!!! Casseroles are comfort food at its best!!! love this one, Melanie!!!
Could I assemble this the night before, refrigerate and bake in the morning? Or what about cooking it overnight in the crock pot?
You could but whenever I put uncooked potato dishes in the fridge for any length of time the potatoes seem to brown despite being in liquid. If this doesn’t bother you I’m guessing it would work out good. But I haven’t specifically tried it with this recipe.
Good luck Linda! Merry Christmas!
This looks so cheesy and delicious! LOVE!!!
I love making casseroles this time of year. This one looks like a real crowd pleaser. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
Annie @ Annie's Noms says
I am LOVING the look of this! I love casseroles as they’re always packed with flavour and pretty simple to put together!
Thanks for stopping by Annie!
Christine @ Cooking with Cakes says
girrrrl YES!!! how did I miss this?!?! pinning love, this would be great for the Super Bowl! xx