Cherry Coffee Cake – Homemade cake batter uses cherry pie filling for a quick and easy Cherry Coffee Cake that makes a delicious breakfast or dessert. Save part of the crust mixture to sprinkle on top for a yummy sugar streusel.
Like our Cinnamon Roll Sour Cream Coffee Cake, this dessert is perfect for breakfast or dessert. Great with a glaze or own it’s own.
Hi there! It’s Julie from Tastes of Lizzy T. I’ve known Melanie for several years and am honored to step in and guest post for her. Melanie has shared so many comforting recipes as she encourages you to enjoy not only good food, but friendship and conversation as you gather together. Recently we launched a new website called The Best Cake Recipes where we share cakes for all occasions. This simple coffee cake is one of our latest creations and I’m excited to be sharing it with you today!
I love that this cake recipe starts with a from-scratch, buttery cake base. You’ll mix together the dry ingredients from the cake and then set aside 1/2 cup of the crumbles before mixing in the wet ingredients. After you put together the cake, you’ll sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top of the unbaked cake. They act as a sugary streusel that you’ll love!
We used cherry pie filling in this easy recipe, but you could definitely switch it out to blueberry, apple or even lemon pie filling. Any will work and it would be fun to switch out the filling to fit whatever season you’re in.
If you’re a sucker for powdered sugar glaze like I am, be sure to whip up this 2 ingredient glaze to drizzle over the finished cake. Because streusel + glaze? Brilliant.
Invite a friend over, brew a pot of coffee and enjoy each other’s conversation as you serve up this easy coffee cake recipe.
This cake is delicious with or without a glaze. A drizzle of a glaze icing just takes it to the next level. Try it both ways!
Cherry Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can cherry pie filling
Optional Glaze Drizzle
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter. Mix with a fork until it’s crumbled. Then, set aside ½ cup of the crumbles.
- In another bowl, mix together the milk, vanilla and eggs. Then, pour the liquid mixture into the large bowl of crumbles. Mix until well combine, will be thick and lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread out with a spatula. Pour the cherry pie filling over the top and then spread the remaining crumbles on top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10-15 minutes and serve warm or chilled.
Whisk the confectioner's sugar and milk in a small bowl, then drizzle it over the mostly cooled cake.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.