Chocolate Caramel Cracker Candy – Saltine crackers layered with homemade caramel and drizzled with dark chocolate. Perfect candy for gifts or bake sales.
I came across this recipe while skimming through the latest Good Housekeeping Magazine during my haicut. Sometimes I feel this is the only time I get to sit, relax and let someone else massage my scalp. Ahh, yes. If you’re a mother you know how good this feels.
You mean to tell me that I actually get to be served while not worrying about who’s hitting who? Or who might be in the kitchen raiding the pantry without permission? Yes! It’s my one and only pampering. And I do not take it for granted. Nor do I ever EVER cancel a hair appt. That would be a big no-no. A girl’s gotta have an escape. And this is mine.
Anyhow, this recipe popped off the page and I couldn’t resist giving it a try. I only changed it up a bit. I used whole wheat saltines instead of regular. But obviously, both work well. I also added the chocolate glaze. Well, if you’ve known me for awhile you knew that was coming. Every part of my life needs chocolate. And cracker candy is no exception.
I’ll be honest. When I made this I wasn’t sure that I would put it on the blog. I just wasn’t sure if it would be blog-worthy. But it surprised me that we all really liked it. I love the fact that it pulls together quickly. No bake. No stovetop. Just the microwave. And you have yourself a quick delicious snack.
Let me know if you give this chocolate caramel cracker candy try. I think you’ll be impressed.
Have a beautiful day!
Til we meet and eat again,
Chocolate Caramel Cracker Candy
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter (no substitutions)
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2.5 oz chocolate semi sweet or dark
- Line large jelly-roll pan with aluminium foil; lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange crackers on pan in single layer.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter on high 1 minute, or until melted. Whisk in granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and vinegar until smooth. Microwave uncovered on high 6 minutes in 2-minute intervals, whisking thoroughly after each interval before returning to microwave. Microwave 1 to 2 minutes more or until dark amber (or until candy thermometer registers 320 degrees F).
- Carefully remove caramel from microwave; pour over crackers in pan. Spread caramel into a thin layer using offset spatula; tap jelly-roll pan on a flat surface to evenly distribute.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute. Stir. Heat in additional 30 second intervals stirring after each one until melted and smooth. Let cool 15 minutes, or until caramel hardens;
- Use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over caramel. Let it set for 15 minutes. Break into pieces.
Adapted slightly from: Good Housekeeping
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.