Cinco de Mayo Chicken Tortilla Soup – Comforting chicken tortilla soup. Heart healthy soup, full of flavor; made with chicken, corn, tomatoes, top with avocado, sour cream and more.
I guess I’ve never technically celebrated Cinco de Mayo. But let just say it sounds like a wonderful food holiday. I know it’s so much more than that. But what a day for food. It’s like a gift for every foodie.
The first time I tried chicken tortilla soup was actually Pioneer Woman’s recipe. And I fell head over heels in love. It was delicious. But then again, so is every recipe of hers that I’ve tried.
My recipe is based off of Ree’s but I’ve switched it up quite a bit too according to our own tastes. It’s definitely on the regular soup rotation at out house. And for good reason too. It’s hearty. It’s healthy.
Oh and I did mention that my kids love it even though it has crushed tomatoes in it. Tomatoes are their nemesis. Why? I don’t know. I’m still crossing my fingers that they’ll grow out of that one.
But I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I used to detest tomatoes too. I’m so thankful that my eyes and taste buds were opened to their beauty.
So here you have it folks. My version of chicken tortilla soup. Please make it for your family. It really is a crowd pleaser!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post may contain affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
© GATHER FOR BREAD. All images & content are copyright protected. Please follow my Sharing Policy if you would like to use or share any part of this post.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion diced small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 can 4 oz green chilies
- 4 cups 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 14 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 boneless chicken breasts cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leave
- 1 avocado cut into chunks
- 4 8 " corn tortillas cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In dutch oven or stock pot heat avocado oil over medium heat. Saute onion until soft and translucent. Add minced garlic. Cook for a minute longer.
- Stir in fire roasted tomatoes, green chilies, chicken broth, corn, black beans and seasonings. Continue to cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve soup with avocado, tortillas strips and fresh sour cream.
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.