Delicious Christmas inspired chocolate sandwich cookies filled with a whipped peppermint filling and rolled in crushed peppermint candy canes Perfect dessert to serve for the holidays.
This is the only time of year that I really enjoy peppermint for some reason. I could care less about having it any other time. But I just love it around the Christmas season.
I love the brilliant red stripes against the stark white in the candy canes for a bold contrast. They’re so pretty for decorating. And what kid can resist a candy cane, really?
Last year was the first year I incorporated candy canes into one of my favorite desserts, the whoopie pie. It’s certainly not a new concept but a delicious one indeed.
They make a great gift too. Wrap them up individually in plastic wrap and drop them on a neighbors porch. Or make these for the next cookie at your annual cookie exchange. Fun, right? And festive.
I personally love the extra flavor of both the peppermint extract and the candy canes. But feel free to leave one out or the other if you don’t like as much peppermint.
Love and blessings all year through,
Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Peppermint
Chocolate Whoopie Pies Peppermint Whipped Filling
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup hot water
For peppermint filling:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 ounces peppermint candies or candy canes crushed
For whoopie pies:
- Cream butter until pale yellow and light. Add sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Then add egg, mixing well. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt. Add to creamed butter mixture in thirds, alternating with sour cream and hot water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. lightly oil baking sheets and drop by tablespoons onto sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow cookies to cool on baking racks.
For peppermint filling:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar. Mix in half and half. Add in peppermint extract and continue to beat on medium until smooth and creamy, about 4 minutes.
To arrange whoopie pies:
- Slather filling between two cookies. Press together lightly. Roll in crushed peppermint.
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.