Ham Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Chowder – A delicious hearty ham soup made with freshly shredded cheddar and wholesome broccoli and potatoes. A family favorite!
Another hearty soup is added the blog. This soup is an all round meal. It’s got the veggies, the protein, the starch and and it leaves you full and happy.
My kids gobbled this down and begged for seconds. That’s what I long to hear after a meal. No whining. Although if they didn’t want seconds that would be nice too.
These kids of mine are growing like weeds. They are now 11, 9 and 5. And boy do they have hearty appetites. It’s very rare if they don’t ask for a second serving any more. Well, that it unless it’s a dish made up of just vegetables. Or tomato soup. I have bribe them to eat my homemade tomato soup.
I know. I don’t need to worry. Some day when they’re in college they’ll come home begging for my tomato soup. Maybe I’ll share it with them for some one on one time. *wink*
But I don’t have to worry about begging for this one. They scarf it down quick.
Thanks for stopping by today!
Love you all!
Ham Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Chowder
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups ham cubed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Heat butter in skillet until melted. Add flour. Use whisk to mix well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat chicken broth in large stock pot until boiling. Stir in flour mixture using whisk. Mix well until thickened.
- Add milk, potatoes. Return to a boil. Turn down to medium and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli. Let simmer for another 10 minutes. Add cheese, ham, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Heat through. Serve warm with baguettes.
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.