These granola bars are the perfect grab and go snack. Berry-licious with tiny nibbles of chocolate.
What’s not to love about granola bars, right? They can pass off as a snack, a breakfast, a side item or lunch. Heck, you can even have one for dinner and I won’t tell a soul.
If you follow me on Facebook I posted a photo yesterday of my little helper. A certain little someone came along when I had my back turned and started snapping away. It was too cute to resist a photo myself. Unfortunately all I had was my camera phone.
This picture just proves that they watch everything we do. So I always make sure I’m on my absolute best behavior. *wink* P.S. If you read my post from yesterday you’ll have to understand one thing. This adventurous boy does not get those genes from me. They must come from his father or grandfather or something.
I’m too afraid to go sledding on a treacherous hill. Never mind what he did!
OK. Don’t rant. Back to granola.
These granola bars rock. I love the tiny delightful melty bites of chocolate alongside the blueberries, cranberries and cherries. It’s mmmm….delightful. When I make these like this I usually have to take photos immediately because if I don’t I blink and it’s gone. That’s what happens when you have 3 ‘hungry…um…er…always want to eat’ children.
One of my favorite parts of these granola bars is the organic sugar. It leaves this grainy (in a good way), coarse texture to the bars. Ordinary granulated sugar would just blend right in. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe you wouldn’t even recognize the difference but I do. I love it!
Get yourself some organic sugar just for these bars and tell me it’s not fantastic. No fears though I won’t call the granola bar police if you use regular sugar. It works just as well. Feel free to also you brown sugar if you’d like. But I’m just giving you my 2 cents.
Hope you’re having absolute fantastic day!
Til we meet and eat again,
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ cup crisp rice cereal
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup toasted wheat germ
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup organic sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mixed dried berries
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch pan with aluminum foil, lightly sprayed with cooking spray or line with parchment.
- Combine oats, rice cereal, almonds, wheat germ and organic sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, honey and vanilla. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Mix in mixed berries and chocolate chips.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry. Stir well to coat.
- Press into parchment or foil lined 9 x 13 inch pan. Make sure to press very firmly.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let set for 1 hour. Remove from pan and cut into bars. Store covered in a container.
Linked to Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend Party, Wake Up Wednesdays
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.