Whole Wheat Rosemary Olive Oil Bread – Delicious whole wheat yeast bread recipe made with fresh rosemary, olive oil and herbs. This easy loaf is perfect addition to every meal or as an appetizer.
It’s Monday. That means bread is baking in Melanie’s kitchen. This is one of my favorites. OK. Don’t even begin to believe me when I say that.
Probably every time I post a bread recipe I’ll say that it’s my favorite. I have shared this particular one with friends before and they really liked it too. I took it up a notch this time though with fresh rosemary. I decided to plant herbs this year for the first time. Only regret is that I should have done it a long time ago.
The fresh herbs are just so awesome. I love to walk by and just sniff them. They smell so wonderful.
So now I finally get to make this bread with fresh rosemary and it just enhances the flavor.
This recipe is really simple too. Don’t let the yeast and rising times fool you. You can do this! I, for one will be so proud of you. Let me know if you attempt it.
P.S. You may not want to share this with anyone but you can’t fool those you live with. They will smell this baking. 🙂
Love and blessings,
Rosemary Olive Oil Bread
- 1 cup warm water 100-110 F
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning or pinch of each ground garlic, dried oregano, and dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
- additional dried rosemary for the top
- Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in a 2 cup measuring cup. Let sit for about 10 minutes to proof. It will get frothy and surface will swell.
- Stir together white wheat flour, 1 cup of bread flour, salt, rosemary, seasoning, pepper and olive oil in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Pour in yeast mixture.
- Mix with wooden spoon until shaggy. Add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time until dough can be handled.
- Dump onto a floured surface. Knead for about 8-10 minutes or until dough is a smooth round ball.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and form it into a round loaf. Dust a pizza peel or parchment paper with some cornmeal or a nice sprinkling of flour. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven and pizza stone (if you have one) to 400 F. When the dough has risen, gently brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with rosemary.
- Slide dough onto preheated stone and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
Recipe adapted from Hint of Honey
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.