Salt and Pepper Biscuits – Delicious, flaky biscuits topped with sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper. Perfect for breakfast or dinner.
Hey friends! I honestly can’t believe that we were well into March already. It seems like only yesterday I was shoveling snow and walking around in my cozy robe and slippers all day.
Oh that’s right because it was only yesterday! And today’s forecast….about 6 more inches of snow. I think I’ll go cry some snowy tears. Thankfully this should the last of it. I’m so ready to get my running shoes back on.
Side note: (Funny story.) I told one of my good friends (who is a runner that lives in the neighborhood) that I wasn’t going to let the cold hold me back this year. I said I’m not going to let more than 10 days go by in between runs. Haha. The cold got the best of me! I just dub myself a seasonal runner. I can’t handle the below 40’s. I just can’t.
So I’m officially a Spring – Fall runner. Winter is out of the equation. So 12/17/14 was my last run. And I shall not be off my running track for more than 3 months. So hold me accountable I will be running before 3/17/15. I must! I’m not getting off the hook any longer.
Back to the biscuits people. What do biscuits and running have in common? Well…lets’s see. Not much. But here’s one. If you want to eat biscuits. Notice that was plural… then you’ll want to get some frequent exercise. Biscuits are not light in calories. But they sure do make up that lightness in texture and layers.
Oh my! These biscuits are from the new Ina Garten Make Ahead cookbook. She got them from cookbook author and host Lee Bailey. She added the twist of salt and pepper which I just adored. As soon as I spotted them inside I knew I had to try them.
And I thought you’d all love them too! So make sure you let me know what you think in the comments below. ↓ Salt and pepper on a biscuit…you say? No way. Yes way.
We cooked these up with some sausage gravy. They were amazing. But I’m curious…what’s your favorite way to enjoy biscuits??? There has to something new out there for me to try.
Til we meet and eat again friends,
Products used to make this recipe well:
Fluffy Salt and Pepper Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2/3 cup cold half and half
- 1 extra large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon half and half for egg wash
- flaked sea salt
- coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Using a sheet pan line with parchement paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade add flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter in small pieces through the chute. Pulse processor about 10 times, until mixture is broken into clumps, approximately the size of peas.
- While processor is running pour in half and half through the feed chute and pulse just until ingredients come together.
- Dump dough out on a floured surface and shape into a ball. Roll out the dough about 1/2 inch thick with a floured rolling pin. There will be bits of butter throughout.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2 1/3 inch round biscuit cutter. (If you don't have one try a drinking glass that's been greased about 1 inch up on the insides.)
- Place on the pan. Brush the tops of the biscuits with egg wash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned baked through. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Make It Ahead: Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Amazon Affiliate: Products linked in this post will earn me a small commission. Thanks for helping me to maintain this blog.
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.