Soft Italian Breadsticks – Soft homemade breadsticks are SO easy to make. Topped with a cheese and herb mixture, the perfect addition to the bread basket at the dinner table. Bake up in 20 minutes, hot and fresh.
Who doesn’t love a good bread basket? If I had it my way there would be bread at every meal. And breadsticks are irresistible because you can dip, dunk, plunk, dump ’em. The list goes on.
What I love most about these soft Italian breadsticks is that it’s really no fuss! If you’ve made any homemade bread before you CAN and SHOULD make these. They are no fuss and pretty darn easy.
Some days we just need easy, right? Life gets overwhelming and busy. But I just can’t make myself buy many store-bought loaves of bread anymore. Knowing how easily I can make them at home. And not to mention how much better they are for our health.
Sometimes I cringe when I look at nutrition labels. Especially on some of those refrigerated tube bread. I get it! They’re super easy. But if you’ve never made homemade bread or rolls, give it a shot. What have you got to lose? At least you can say you tried. And if you succeed…trust me you will be so pleased with yourself.
You’ll be calling all your friends and telling them. You’ll be inviting your neighbors over to sample the goods. Oh yeah! I’ve been there. My bread making skills used to be non-existent. Everyone has to start somewhere. So why not start with something easy like these?
If they are misshapen. Pfftt….who cares? Too long? Too short. Too fat….none of it matters with these. Just make sure they’re baked through to light golden brown and sit back and enjoy your Soft Italian Breadsticks! It’s utterly a fabulous feeling.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
Soft Italian Breadsticks
Soft homemade breadsticks are SO easy to make. Topped with a cheese and herb mixture, the perfect addition to the bread basket at the dinner table. Bake up in 20 minutes, hot and fresh.
- 1 cup warm water 90° - 100°
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl. Let sit until frothy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Add the butter, flour, salt, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Using a flat paddle mix until combined. Switch to dough hook to begin kneading, While kneading if the dough is too dry and doesn't stretch at all, add a tablespoon of water. If the dough is too wet add a tablespoon of flour at a time until soft and smooth. The dough should clear sides of the bowl. Knead for a total of 5-7 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After dough has risen place on a lightly floured counter. Divide in half. Divide each half into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-inch rope. Place on a greased or Silpat lined baking sheet 2 inches apart. Let rest covered for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately smear with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.