Best Reuben Sandwich without Sauerkraut – My classic version with a twist. Replacing sauerkraut with delicious crisp pickles makes the perfect Reuben.
One of Mel’s favorite sandwiches. Wait did I just say that in the 3rd person? I believe I did. Maybe I get tired of saying ‘I’ and ‘my’ and ‘mine’. Maybe it’s because it’s late and I still have a coat of paint to apply on the cabinets and 3 loads of wash to fold and an appointment to make and a bed that never got made.
Maybe my life is too chaotic for anything right now but sandwiches. Yeah right. Says the girl who makes time to whip up marbled rye bread, and write, photograph and share it. But it’s what I love about blogging. I love sharing all my kitchen creations with you. It brings joy to my heart and a smile to face. Yes…that would be you!
Check out my Marbled Rye Bread ⇒ here ⇐
Thanks for always listening to my ramblings and scrolling past all those pictures to get the good stuff. The real reason you’re here. That recipe is what you came for. And today I share with you my favorite version of a Reuben sandwich.
I’m not a sauerkraut fan. Never have been. So recently I’ve been adding a few pickles and I love the crunch and bite it brings. It gives it some pizzazz.
Reubens are definitely on my top 10 list of sandwiches. They’re so scrumptious that I just randomly get cravings for them. So of course I had a craving as soon I experiment with rye bread. I mean who wouldn’t, right? They go together like salt and pepper.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Best Reuben Sandwich without Sauerkraut
Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 clove garlic minced
- 18 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 4 slices Marbled Rye Bread
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 2 tablespoons thousand island dressing
- 8 ounces corned beef sliced thin
- 4 ounces of Swiss cheese sliced thin
- 8 dill pickle slices
Thousand Island Dressing
- In medium sized mason jar or other container with tight fitting blend combine the following: mayonnaise, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, relish, garlic, salt, pepper. Shake or stir to combine.
- Heat skillet or panini pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, butter bread slices. Placing butter sides facing each other. Spread 1 tablespoon dressing on one slice of bread top with corned beef, Swiss cheese and pickles. Top with 1/2 tablespoon of dressing and another slice of bread. Repeat for second sandwich.
- Place sandwich on skillet with butter side touching skillet and second butter side facing up. Heat for about 4 minutes. Flip. Cook until golden brown and cheeses are melted.
Thousand Island dressing adapted from Food.com
Other awesome sandwiches:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.