Homemade Coconut Custard Pie – Flaky coconut pie made with real custard baked in a pie crust for a perfect old fashioned taste, just like grandma made. Real ingredients like eggs, coconut milk and organic sugar.
Happy Pi day friends!
This pie is literally 2 years in the making. Ok. So maybe not the pie that’s pictured but the recipe itself. I first went to post this recipe 2 years ago on March 28, 2015. Then life happened I guess and other things took precedence. But here it is and baby, it was worth.
For this round, I made the recipe 2 days in a row just to be sure I had everything right. But as you can see from my lack of pie recipes here on Gather for Bread, I am not a pie expert. Do I enjoy it? Sure. Do I like it when other people bake them for me? Heck, yeah!
My mom is a master pie crust maker. If I could make pie crusts with ease the way she does there might be a lot more pie around here.
I haven’t always been a big pie fan. I’d take a slice of cake over pie most days but I’m a sucker for coconut custard pie and shoo-fly (hopefully coming soon to the blog!). Does anyone even know about this pie? Or do you have to live near Amish territory. I’m a huge fan!
Anyway, every Easter I love for this pie to make an appearance. I even sometimes choose it over pumpkin at Thanksgiving because it’s just the flavors I love in a pie. I love pudding and I love coconut so this pie makes perfect sense for my appetite. Hope you enjoy it too!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
To make this recipe well:
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 Pie Pastry Shell
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can organic coconut milk, well stirred (not cream of coconut)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour. Add coconut milk, whole milk, shredded coconut salt and coconut extract. Let mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour filling into pie. If you have too much extra filling for crust you can bake separately. See notes.
- Cover pie crust edges with foil or pie crust shield. Bake pie for 20 minutes. Remove foil or pie crust shield and continue baking for 25 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let pie cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. Store pie in refrigerator. Cut into 8 slices and serve with a dollop of shipped cream.
12 BRAND NEW pie recipes for pie day from Celebrating Food Bloggers!
Coconut Custard Pie – HERE
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie – Life Made Simple
Strawberry Chocolate Pie – Baking with Blondie
Raspberries and Cream Pie – Real Mom Kitchen
Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust – Namely Marly
Lemon Meringue Pie – The Baker Upstairs
Pineapple Fluff Pie – Yellow Bliss Road
Instant Pot or Crockpot Beef Pot Pie – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
German Chocolate Pie – Creations by Kara
Chicken Pot Pie with a cheddar biscuit crust – Hey Grill, Hey
Meat and Potatoes Pie – Foodie with Family
Traditional Shepherds Pie – Ashlee Marie
MORE Pie Recipes
Sloppy Joe Tater Pie – Yellow Bliss Road
Maple Chai Apple Pie- Foodie with Family
Individual Chicken Pot Pies – Real Mom Kitchen
Salted Caramel Banana Cream Pie – Baking with Blondie
Perfect Pumpkin Pie – Life Made Simple
French Silk Pie – Creations by Kara