These congo bars are perfectly sweet with flavor. Chewy chocolate chip cookies bars that bake up beautifully. Toasted coconut adds some texture and crunch.
I know just another chocolate cookie bar recipe, right? Wrong. There’s options. Here me out. These babies add in some freshly toasted coconut for a little extra crunch. Perfect texture and taste.
Are you craving one yet? Or do I need to keep going? I need to keep going. I can not end this post after one paragraph. I simply can not!
But please remember these can easily be made without the coconut for all you non coconut fans. I don’t agree but I must be flexible with all of you. 🙂
The 9 x 13 pan of these came in handy recently when I had 4 7th grade boys here at once. We all know how much boys eat, right? I could here them discussing the coconut thing.
One boy is saying he loves in everything. Another says he doesn’t like it all but proceeds to eat the bar and loves it. I guess he didn’t even taste the coconut. Maybe he was hungry or maybe I’m good at disguising things.
Let’s face we all need chocolate in our life. So the next time you’re craving it give these a whirl. I think you’ll be pleased.
Til we meet and eat again,
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1½ cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan, then line it with parchment paper or use 2 sheets of foil allowing extra for overhang. Press foil into corners. Grease foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Whisk together the melted butter and light brown sugar in a large bowl until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Fold in dry ingredients using a rubber spatula just until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the toasted coconut and chocolate chips. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth it out.
- Baking for 22 to 25 minutes or until top is shiny and cracked. It should feel firm. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the bars from the pan using the parchment handles and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 2 x 1½-inch bars. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe from: The Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book
These bars are JUST what Friday needs I’d say. 😉 I Iove coconut in pretty much anything and combined with chocolate? I died. 😀
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
What a great bar, Melanie! I love the coconut flavor on these babies! Definitely sounds like the perfect treat! Pinned!
These bars look so amazing and so pretty on that bed of perfectly toasted coconut! I used to hate coconut and now it is one of my favorite flavors.
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
Well you know how much I *love* coconut, so these bars would be perfect for me! Can’t wait to make them. Yum!
shashi @ runninsrilankan says
Melanie – one can never have two many cookie bars – these ones with toasted coconut sound fantastic! So fantastic they fooled that boy too!
Hope you have a fantastic weekend !
(think fantastic is the word of the day for me)
Allie | Baking a Moment says
I just had congo bars for the first time last year- I had never heard of them before! Your coconut version looks incredible Melanie!
These look yummy, Melanie. I love congo bars (with coconut!!). Thanks for sharing.
Consuelo - Honey & Figs says
I really shouldn’t be looking at your blog at lunchtime, because it is making me want to eat everything *-* How amazing do these bars look????? I’m soooo loving this flavor combo!
I hope you’re having a fabulous weekend xxxx
Chocolate and coconut are a favorite combo of mine! These are definitely not just another boring bar cookie.
Renee@Two in the Kitchen says
I love the coconut in these bars. They look heavenly!! 🙂
Elizabeth @ SugarHero says
Yessss I am such a fan of coconut anything! Coconut should be in every dessert, if you ask me. I can’t wait to try these bars!
Jessica @ Jessica in the Kitchen says
What a great idea for bars! Love the chocolate + coconut combination.
Becca from It's Yummi! says
My allergy to coconut is such a bummer at times like this. These sound SO good!
Ashley @ My Midwest Table says
I’m all about coconut, and toasted coconut is one of my faves. Yum! I’m beginning to learn just how much boys eat. I swear mine are hungry like every 10 minutes. 🙂
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
Definitely craving all of the chocolatey and coconut goodness of these bars right now, they look amazingly delicious! Pinned!
These look incredible! They are just calling for me!! 🙂 I love the toasted coconut in them!
Julie @ HostessAtHeart says
I live in a divided family too. I love the coconut but the Mr. doesn’t. These are gorgeous!