Maple Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza – Fresh pizza with pure maple syrup, crisp bacon and caramelized onions on a bed of melty mozzarella and Romano cheeses. Savory and sweet with the perfect flavor.
Pizza totally rocks in my book. It’s very rare that a week goes by before I’m craving it. We enjoy it many ways. Thick crust or thin crust. Plain or toppings. Flatbread or french bread. In a soup or in a dip.
I’ll pretty much take it anyway I can get it. And it’s been awhile since I’ve posted a pizza recipe. So I was just a little overdue.
If you love pizza with a twist you’ll love this variation. It’s topped with bacon that’s been lightly marinated in maple syrup, caramelized onions and a combination of cheeses, mozzarella and Romano.
I knew before I even served it that my family would love this. And surely I was correct. They inhaled it and loved every bite. Winner! We’ve got a winner.
Seriously does food get any better than bacon and cheese? Rarely!
On a side note: Have I ever told you how much I love my pizza paddle? I use it all the time for transferring to and from the oven. It makes it so nice. And the quality of this one is superb. I’ve used it for over a year and it still looks brand new.
It also has a secret second use. Friends come over and joke that it’s my butt paddle too. For the record I do not use it as a patootie paddle. It’s reserved for pizza!
Pizza happens almost every Friday night at our house. How about you? How often does your family eat pizza?
Thanks for being here friends!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
Maple Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza
**Read Notes Prior to Making**
- 2 teaspoons active or instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6-8 slices of bacon
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoon pure 100% maple syrup
- 4 oz Romano cheese freshly shredded
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese freshly shredded
- If using active dry yeast; dissolve in lukewarm water with a teaspoon of sugar. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes until the frothy. If you're using instant yeast, you can skip this step.
- Combine the dissolved yeast (or the instant yeast) with the flour, olive oil and salt. Mix and knead until everything comes together (by hand, mixer or bread machine set on the dough cycle). Mix until you have a soft, smooth dough.
- Using a stand mixer,it should take about 4 to 5 minutes at medium speed. Dough should clear the sides of the bowl but stick to the bottom a bit.
- Grease a large bowl with a few drops of olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour
- Meanwhile preheat skillet. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cook bacon until crispy. Remove to paper towel lined plate or tray. Reserve 2 Tablespoons bacon grease. Cook onion in grease over low-medium heat until translucent and soft. Set aside.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Use parchment or pizza paddle sprinkled with cornmeal. Shape dough into desired shape. Place dough on parchment or pizza paddle.
- Chop bacon.Pour maple syrup in shallow dish and add bacon.
- Sprinkle Romano cheese evenly over pizza. Top with maple dipped bacon. Top with mozzarella cheese and caramelized onions.
- Slide pizza onto preheated stone and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheeses are melted and crust is crisp and lightly browned.
Toppings for pizza listed are for enough for 1 pizza. Feel free to double for 2 pizzas or use other toppings.
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.