Creamy Coconut Butternut Squash Soup – Delicious creamy soup is made with real coconut milk and roasted butternut squash. Perfect fall soup for lunch or dinner.
I love coconut so when I found a recipe making butternut squash soup with coconut milk I knew I had to try it. The results: creamy and delicious. The flavor is phenomenal. It’s the perfect fall lunch.
The color is fabulous. So eye-catching that I somehow find it irresistible and keep wanting to gaze at it all day. That’s absurd! I have many more things yet to do with my day. Focus, Melanie, focus.
If you’ve never tried butternut squash before. Um, yeah that was me until 2 years ago. I have to tell you. Give it a try. Even if you think it looks like baby food ( I know. It does.)
I think you’ll like it if:
You enjoy trying new foods.
Green vegetables bore you.
You like a light meal every now and then.
You’re not a coconut fan. Yes, you read that right! You won’t taste a whole lot of the coconut coming through but it will just make it super rich and delicious!
Look at that gorgeous creaminess! So hard to resist.
Til we meet and eat again,
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (13.5-14 ounces) coconut milk
- 2½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- chopped chives, to garnish
- toasted coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Sprinkle with olive oil. Lay face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven. Let cool.
- Scoop out pulp. Discard skin.
- Meanwhile, heat teaspoon of olive oil in a small skillet. Saute onion until translucent. Add minced garlic. Cook one minute longer.
- Combine squash, coconut milk, chicken broth, onion mixture, salt and ginger in a blender. May need to be done in 2 or more batches. Blend until smooth. I use my Vitamix and it makes it so creamy. Or use immersion blender.
- Top with toasted coconut and chives if desired.
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Such a perfect fall soup! Love the flavour 🙂
Thanks Katrina! So glad you stopped by.
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
Now this sounds delicious! I love the idea of adding coconut milk. I bet that gives it great flavor. Can’t wait to try this version! I love a good butternut squash soup.
Kathy @ Olives & Garlic says
Great fall soup. I think I’ll make it with grilled cheese on the side. Yum
I KNOW I will Love this soup! I love winter squash and it is absolutely one of my favorite colder weather comfort foods. This soup looks divine!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
What a perfect fall soup! Great comfort food for chilly evenings!
Oh this is just too much. It is beautiful and looks delicious 🙂
Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron says
Wow soooo creamy and thick!! And what a bright vibrant and beautiful color! Love this Melanie. Hope you have a great weekend XO
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
Butternut squash soup is one of my faves for fall!! love the addition of the coconut milk and the toasted coconut!! Pinned!
Yes, it makes it mighty good. Thanks for stopping by Alice!
Lori Hart says
Fall is perfect soup weather and this looks amazing!! Found your recipe at Time to Sparkle. I am one of the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link up this recipe if you have not yet already. Here is the link
Love this gorgeous soup! It looks soooo creamy and thick and I love the beautiful color! Perfect for fall!
Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab says
Looks delicious! I’ll have to try it when the hubby isn’t around.
That’s funny. My hubby wouldn’t eat it either! But I love it! Must be a girl thing. 🙂
Ashley @ My Midwest Table says
Squash soups are some of my most favorite. The coconut milk is a great addition. Yum!
Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog says
I love butternut squash soup and yours looks fabulous! I love the addition of cocount milk, very nice!
Nicole @ Waterloo, with Love says
What a perfect fall recipe! I’m starting to notice that the squash and pumpkins are slowly disappearing from grocery stores…. noooo!! haha
I love the spices in your recipe!