Light Tender Potato Dinner Rolls – Pull apart potato rolls recipe for light tender buns. Made with real potato and butter. Easy to make ahead and refrigerate overnight. Perfect for holidays, Easter Christmas.
Maybe I’m normal. Maybe I’m not. That one is still up for debate. But life is made better in the bread basket. Can I get an “Amen”? If time wasn’t an issue I’d have fresh baked bread every day of my life. With so much variety, how would I ever be bored?
Some of my absolute favorites….you asked. I know you did. You REALLY care about my likes, don’t you? 🙂 Well for starters. I could eat one of these pretzel rolls every day and never ever get tired of them. And for the classic PB& J or grilled cheese this Whole Wheat bread totally suites my tastes.
And for the dinner guests I’m serving, this Outback copycat bread goes brilliantly with any meal. But my world revolves around this garlic bread right now. You can serve it for dinner, party food or as an appetizer and no one in their right mind will turn it down. It’s spot on delicious!
Anywho, getting back to recipe at hand. It’s these light and tender potato dinner rolls.
Look at that ‘fluff’. I could eat three right now.
Reasons you’ll love them:
- 1 bowl mixing
- Easy peasy.
- Make ahead directions included
- Made with the delicious taste of real potato.
- So light and fluffy you’ll think you’re eating a pillow (Ok. Maybe not a good analogy. Pillows probably taste nasty.)
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Light and Tender Potato Dinner Rolls
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cups milk heated to lukewarm, about 110 degrees
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mashed potato*
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine 2 cups of flour and yeast. Stir. Add in milk, sugar, butter and salt. Mix on low speed until it begins to come together. Add beaten egg and mashed potato. Mix on low until combined. Add in additional 2 cups of flour. Mix slowly at first then increase to medium speed. Begin to knead. If after a few minutes dough is still sticky add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time. Total kneading should be about 6-7 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic, clearing sides of the bowl but sticking to the bottom.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- Press dough down. Turn out onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide each half into 12 equal sized pieces for a total of 24 dough balls. Roll each into a tight ball. Stretch dough and tuck underneath. Place dough balls into a greased 9 x 13" pan. Let rise for 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
*Peel potato and cut into small pieces. Boil until softened. Mash with potato masher or fork.
*To Make Ahead:
After shaping the rolls place in pan refrigerate for 2-24 hours. Let sit out at room temperature, loosely covered for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake following directions above.
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.