Mocha latte parfaits. These pretty parfaits combine chocolate, coffee and cream to make an easy yet decadent dessert. Make ahead and pretty, perfect to serve to dinner guests for the holidays.
I came across these treats while browsing through my vast array of cookbooks. They looked so decadent and it’s been quite awhile since I went all out and made a decadent treat like this one.
I simply couldn’t resist the beauty of chocolate, coffee and mousse in a pretty little parfait. After looking at these, could you resist? When it comes to chocolate and coffee it’s like my eyes light up, my heart speeds up a little, my cheeks warm. If I didn’t know any better I’d think I have a crush on this combo.
Well those are all tell tale signs so maybe I do….you never know. Just don’t tell my awesome hubby. He may get a wee bit jealous. Next thing I know he’ll coming strolling into the bedroom in chocolate underwear with coffee cologne. OK> MEL > STOP > ALREADY >
I’m laughing just thinking about it! He’s going to be horrified. Oh well. He sealed the deal with me 15 years ago. There’s nothing to be done. *wink*
Til we meet and eat again,
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- ½ teaspoon shortening
- chocolate jimmies
- 3 tablespoons half and half cream
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- ⅓ cup confectioners' sugar
- In the microwave melt ½ cup chocolate chips and shortening together in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Dip the rims of four parfait glasses in melted chocolate. Sprinkle with jimmies. Let stand until dried and set.
- In a small saucepan, combine the half and half cream, egg yolks, vanilla, coffee granules and remaining chocolate chips. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160°. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Let cool, stirring several times.
- In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in 1 tablespoon of the whipping cream. Add in remaining cream. Beat cream mixture just until it begins to thicken. Then add confectioners' sugar. Beat until soft peaks form. Fold in 1½ cups of cream mixture into cooled chocolate mixture.
- Spoon about ¼ cup chocolate mousse into each parfait glass. Spoon or pipe about ¼ cup cream mixture over mousse. Repeat layers.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Recipe from Taste of Home
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.