Simple Homemade Strawberry Shortcake – Simple homemade strawberry shortcake made with fresh berries whipped cream, ultimate summer dessert. Sweet sponge cake layered with strawberries, perfect!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
Simple Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
- 1- quart strawberries hulled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 1/2 cup milk I used 2%
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- fresh mint optional
- Gently stir together strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; chill.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in large bowl. Cut butter in with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Combine milk and egg yolks in a small bowl. Mix together. Add to the flour mixture, stir just until moistened.
- Divide dough in half. Pat into two greased round 9-inch pans. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Spread this over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chill mixing bowl and wire whip attachment for about 10 minutes.
- Beat whipping cream and sugar on medium-high speed for several minutes until it forms stiff peaks.
- Place one layer cake on a large serving plate. Spread with half of whipped cream. Layer with half of the strawberries. Repeat layers of whipped cream and strawberries. Garnish with mint
Refer to this post from Food Network if you need help making fresh whipped cream.
Adapted slightly from Gooseberry Patch Summer in the Country
You may also enjoy:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.