Beef Barley Mushroom Soup – Easy beef broth based soup chock full of diced beef roast, grains and vegetables. The barley and mushroom flavors are robust. A full meal in a bowl. Serve with a salad and bread for a complete meal.
For the new readers, please read this disclosure:
We love soup. We make soup a lot. Please still love us even if you don’t love soup. This one is hearty and tastes way better than it could possibly look. Will you give it a try? You’re the best.
For our long time friends, please read this disclosure: You already know we love soup. You still come and read our recipes. You’re the best!
Question: Did you read the other friend’s note above? Aha! I caught you. You read someone’s else disclosure. You’re so sneaky. Now you might have to be sneaky again. I was just gearing you up. Because for those of us with kids they just might turn their noses up at this one.
So here are some tips:
Mash the carrots and then add to the soup. They’ll have no idea that they’re in there.
Kids hate mushrooms? Leave ’em out or exchange them for some chopped zucchini or bell peppers.
Thanks for being here friends!
Til we meet and eat again,
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1¼ cups barley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large stockpot. Add beef and brown for a few minutes. Stir in onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Stir in carrots, celery, barley, oregano, basil, beef broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.