Slow Cooker Apple Cider Beef Stew – Easy crock pot stew combines the flavors of fall. Classic beef stew with a hint of apple is great comfort food.
The slow cooker apple cider beef stew makes an easy and delicious meal. Perfect for guests or nights when dinner needs prepared ahead of time.
Growing up we ate beef stew probably as often as most of the average families do. I actually despised it, though. All of us kids probably groaned in unison at the thought of potatoes and carrots in beef gravy.
I absolutely love it. Total comfort food. When life gives me cold blustery days I’m all about a good beef stew with some warm crusty bread. Yum!
I don’t care what my kids say. I don’t care if they complain. On these particular nights, I don’t even care if they eat I’m just happy to be eating some delicious stew. Help! I’m so selfish in these moments. It’s totally ridiculous.
I’m curious. What’s your favorite comfort food when it’s cold? I didn’t even tell you the other 16 I have like mashed potatoes, creamy potato soup or this baked corn. Actually I’m starting to reveal a pattern here. It’s all about the creamy. Did you notice that?
Well, this beef stew probably wouldn’t be described as creamy but it’s equally delicious comfort food in my book.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
- 2 lbs beef cubes for stew
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup water
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Mix together flour, salt, pepper and thyme. Coat beef with flour mixture. Brown beef for a few minutes on each side. Set aside. In slow cooker layer ingredients as follows: vegetable mixture, browned beef, diced apple.
- In a small bowl mix together cider, water and vinegar. Pour over beef and vegetables in crock pot.
- Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours. Before serving, turn crock pot to high. Remove beef and vegetables. Set aside and keep warm. Place flour in a small bowl slowing add water while whisking. Thicken broth by adding flour mixture cooking for about 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Serve and enjoy.
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.