Homemade Chicken Orzo Soup – Homemade chicken orzo soup made with fresh spinach, cooked chicken and fresh Parmesan cheese for a comforting bowl. Perfect for winter nights dinner.
Today I am bringing to some warmth to your chill. Well even if you don’t have chill I have enough for us both! Yesterday was so stinken cold that I had the heat cranked, a scarf on, a fleece over my shirt, hot coffee in my hands and I was still cold.
These are the days soup is made for. The days where I just can’t bring myself to a warm happy place. Soup takes me there to that warm happy place when nothing else can.
So today I’m sharing a very simple comforting bowl of yum. It’s all about the classic chicken soup with some orzo pasta. Because this family loves it’s pasta. The hubby wouldn’t complain if I served a variety of pasta 3 days a week. While we don’t eat it quite that often, it always makes it’s appearance at least 2x a week for dinner. Because it makes them happy. And that’s what moms occasionally want to see at the dinner table…happy faces and full bellies.
You’ll love that this soup because it:
is super simple
uses ingredients that you probably have on hand
can be made in less than an hour.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Homemade Chicken Orzo Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 16 ounces cooked chicken breast chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, cook stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo pasta and chicken to pot. Reduce heat slightly. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted and pasta is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Adapted from AllRecipes
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.