Coconut Lime French Toast Bake – Easy baked french toast casserole made with coconut milk, shredded coconut, real lime juice and lime zest. This tropical breakfast will make you think of the islands while enjoying the fresh taste for breakfast.
French toast is back and in a big way. I’m a huge french toast fan. And the word on the street is that this easy, tasty french toast casserole is pretty popular. In fact, it’s #2 on the blog in rank of page views. I know why. It’s got the word ‘easy’ in the title, it’s pretty to look at and delicious, of course.
So I figured it was high time to get some new variations here. And I can never resist a good coconut dish, especially when it comes to breakfast. I was really hoping to make the coconut and lime taste shine here and I think it worked out well using a combination of coconut milk, coconut extract, shredded coconut, lime juice and lime zest.
Even without knowing that the lime was in there, the kids were able to pick out the lime taste so that made me super happy. I can’t tout lime in the title if I can’t taste it.
French toast has always been one of my favorite meals for breakfast. Sliced thick or in casserole form, I love both! Especially with a sprinkling of powdered sugar or whipped cream. Oh yeah! I get happy just thinking about it. Enjoy this super breakfast dish. Until next time friends.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
Coconut Lime French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf French or other crusty bread
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups refrigerated coconut milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 lime juiced (about 2 tablespoons lime juice)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut I use unsweetened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose or coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 Tablespoons cold butter
- Cut bread into cubes or tear into small pieces. Place in a greased 9 x 13 inch or other 3 quart baking dish. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, half and half, lime juice, sugar and coconut extract.. Pour over bread in pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine coconut, sugar, flour and lime zest. Cut butter into small pieces and place over flour mixture. With a fork, blend butter into mixture until it resembles small crumbs. Sprinkle over bread in pan. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Test by poking a knife in the middle, if it comes out clean it should be baked through.
Adapted from my Easy French Toast Casserole
You may also like: